Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

How do you install a fuel pump ?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

How do you install a fuel pump ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:54 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you install a fuel pump ?

Hi just got a pump for free and was wondering how do you install it ??? No instructions were included .
Please help
Old 02-02-2005, 10:02 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: How do you install a fuel pump ?

You are probably going to have to come up with a name, preferably a model number or at the very least a careful description
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12 PM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are talking about an electric pump that moves your fuel from the bottle to your plane, it's just a matter of wiring a 12 volt battery to the two electrical connections on the pump. Then one fuel line goes from the bottle to the pump, and another from the pump to the plane's fuel tank. It is neater and safer to attach everything to a field box with a power panel. The panel will have two jacks where you plug in your pump and a switch to control the pump. The 12 volt battery is mounted inside the field box and wired to the power panel. Then everything electrical can be controlled through the power panel (the fuel pump, the starter, the glow plug clip, etc.)

If you are talking about a pump that mounts to your engine to make it run better, that would depend on the manufacturer of the engine and the pump.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:11 AM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: ho2zoo
If you are talking about an electric pump that moves your fuel from the bottle to your plane,

Darn didn,t even think of that ho2, how bout it LDM to which purpose are we addressing?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:16 AM
LDM

Perry osolating pump for the engine of the plane , thanks
Looking at either a 2 stroke inverted
Or 4 stroke inverted
Old 02-03-2005, 01:32 AM
JohnBuckner

OK now we are getting someplace. That is the Perry-Varsane-Conley VP20 ossilating pump, it functions with a tiny ball in a tube that is bounced back and forth by the rotational vibrations of the engine in the plain of the propellor. Its this ball that pumps the fual.

On the black case there is a large embossed arrow. There is a hose nipple on each end of the pump, the nipple that is pointed at by the arrow is the the line that goes to the carb. The opposite end goes to the tank feed line and use the muffler pressure if avalible on the vent line of the tank as normal.

This pump to operate properly must be mounted to the crank case of the engine or at least to the beams of he engine mount. It will not perform if mounted to the firewall. It needs the rotational impulses in the plane of the propellor rotation. and that means it must be mounted pointed in the right direction, in other words if the engine is upright the inlet and outlet of the pump is pointing to the engines right and left. It won,t work if the inlet and outlet is parallel to the crankshaft.

They came with a little adapter plate that bolted to the two little bolts and then to two of the crankcase rear cover bolts.

Suggest you soak it in fuel for an extended period to free up the little ball. It can sieze up just like an old engine with old caster. Also in use after each flight of the day unplug the carb line and loop it back to the inlet side with some fuel in it to form a closed loop. This will serve to keep that ball wetted out and not sieze.

Its a great little pump that works well with the proper mounting. Good luck

John
Old 02-03-2005, 11:40 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a visual of what John said:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54400.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	224450  
Old 02-03-2005, 12:25 PM
JohnBuckner

Mike your visuals are magic[8D]
Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 PM
LDM

guys thanks for the info , this one is silver with a red top , no mounting plate .

It had three connections , one out the botton and one that runs from left out to right with the arrows running on the top .
The person who gave it to me said they tapped the crankshift to for pressure , then pressure can be adjusted on the little hex screw on the top of the pump

what seems confusing is that I dont want to tap the engine
Old 02-03-2005, 10:46 PM
birdnest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is probably the perry regulated pump (vp-30)? although mine is blue. The pump runs off crankcase pressure. You tap the backplate, then run a urethane tube to the "bottom" of the pump. The pump draws fuel from the tank to the carb. You do not use muffler pressure. I have one on a thunder tiger 46. The stock carb hasa been replaced with a Perry carb designed for this pump. It probably adds some power, but it's main purpose is to allow the engine to run consistantly when the tank is too low/high.

If your free pump is old or used, I'd recommend buying a new one with instructions and all the parts for installation. One less potential headache. You should be prepared to buy a Perry carb and to tap the backplate if you are this far into the hobby.

http://www.conleyprecision.com/

peter
Old 02-03-2005, 10:51 PM
JohnBuckner

This is a differant matter. It is not the VP20 ossilating pump and sounds like the VP30 regulated pump. It is an entirely differant principle and there is no bouncing ball, makes no differance how or where you mount it. You must provide crankcase pressure to the third line for it to function. Muffler pressure will not activate it and yes the hex nut will adjust flow.

John
Old 02-04-2005, 10:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, John's right.

If you don't want to tap your crankcase, you might as well sell the pump.

(PS, tapping the crankcase really isn't that big of a deal, but I can also relate to not wanting to attempt it)
Old 02-04-2005, 03:49 PM
LDM

Thanks guys , I think i will try it , thanks for all the help ,
Minn Flyer , I got to Hobbywarhouse new building , nice place be back in a month .