Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote trim solvent?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote trim solvent?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 06:04 PM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote trim solvent?

Has any one used this. Is it any good and what are the drawbacks?

i am used to doing my graphics the old iron down way. is the trim solvent any better.. Aslo what hapenes if later you decide to hit it with a heat gun or iron??

ThankS,
Old 02-03-2005, 06:39 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Monokote trim solvent?

The trim solvent works real well. It also is a good cleaner for the seams when you are covering. Give it a try and Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-03-2005, 06:46 PM
drumbum

thanks
Old 02-03-2005, 06:51 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trim solvent is great but make sure you have the pieces exactly lined up because once it goes down, it's down. Using a heat gun later won't affect it.

Also, when you have the bottle open, don't have any monokote with the backing removed near it...the fumes will act like a catalyst and if the piece folds on itself, it's ruined. Because of this, make sure you have good ventilation when using (well, in addition to your health LOL)

Don
Old 02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
drumbum

yea i know what you mean i balsarited an extra 300 last week and had to leave the room for a while... first time doing it in my new work area and it STAYed in the air.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention...the solvent is an excellent cleaner for your monokote iron, too. Heat the iron up, put a little solvent on a cotton ball and cleanup the iron. Let it all evaporate or burn off before using it again.

Don
Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Whoa, I have had very poor results with this stuff. It is a powerful solvent and if you get too much on, it will melt the coloring adhesive backing leaving you with a very irregular color as a result. Caution is the watchword with this stuff.

Use the Windex method. I have seen very good results using this method. Just put a search on Windex if you don't know how to do it.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:40 AM
woodbutcher

For touching up tears/dings etc.. Put trim solvent on back of monokote scrap and let sit a little. Use a soft brush to "paint" on the color . Works great.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:30 AM
chris_in_montreal

My experience using this showed its a good product IF used correctly. I found you have to apply the solvent very sparingly, too much and it dissolves the color dye. Personally the first time i used this i was only comfortable using it on small pieces of trim, any large patches i used the "windex" method (but used the solvent to seal the edges of these larger patches). Also once a piece is down, its down, works like contact cement, however you can use the solvent to remove a piece if layed down incorrectly, but you will have ruined the piece of trim in the process. Also i found the best results when using it to lay trim on nice flat surfaces. There's definately a technique to using it and i'm sure with practice its possible to get very good results.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:53 AM
ksechler

I have a couple of questions for the trim solvent pros. Drumbum, I hope I'm not being rude in hijacking your thread, but you might end up having the same questions anyway..

1. Is there anyway to slow the trim solvent down. I'd be nice if you had a chance to move the graphics when your lining them up. How many of you have ended up with that star or line a little crooked because there is virtually no working time. Having some time would also help in getting ride of bubbles.

2. Using the "windex" method how do you account for curves in the surface? I'm assuming that you need to have a relatively flat surface or a small graphic. How do you install something like a long starburst strip on the wing without getting bubbles if it won't lay flat with the windex?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:02 AM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

I'm wondering also if there's any truth to the rumor that Monokote solvent only works with monokote - not Ultrakote?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:16 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not a rumor. Unfortunately, Trim solvent will NOT work on Ultracote.

That, to me, is one of the few big advantages Mk has over UC
Old 02-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One good way to use the MonoKote Trim Solvent so that you don't wind up removing the pigment/adhesive from the MonoKote is to put a little of the Trim Solvent on a paper towel/napkin/etc and wipe it on the surface where you're putting the trim. It will start to evaporate immediately, but enough will remain so that the trim piece you put down will be well-stuck. If you wipe the damp towel directly on the back of the trim piece, you'll be wiping off the pigment/adhesive.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:23 PM
drumbum

Thanks for youe help .. I am going to try the windex method for the rest of the stripes.. In the wing i hand laid them and ironed.. 3 colors and one is a 3/16 stripe with a space and a 4" connected to it.. I have 4 hours just in the wing not counting covering it. I havent even got to the bottom yet
Old 02-04-2005, 05:49 PM
chris_in_montreal

Covering is deceiving, took me longer to cover than it did to build!!