Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

another fuel proofing question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

another fuel proofing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 02:13 AM
Justin2895

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another fuel proofing question

I am currently building a sig kobra and I am to the part where I need to fuel proof the wood cowling,firewall, and fuel compartment...

I have read many post concerning fuel proofing and here is what I need to know,
many people say thinned epoxy and many say something like clear lusterkote,

what I would like to do is used epoxy where I would like it to be stronger and lusterkote where I don't want epoxy to get into i.e. the holes in the firewall where the motor mount and the landing gear bracket connect too. would it be suitable to spray the !QUOT!middle!QUOT! of the firewall with lusterkote and still be fully fuel proof. Also would lusterkote be a suitable fuel proofer for the tank compartment, I think a spray would be much easier.

And finally I have chose to cover the plane in black could I spray paint the inside of the cowling with black lusterkote also, just for looks and fuel proofing. would i need clear and black to make it fuel proof.

Thank you for your time
Justin
Old 02-09-2005, 09:44 AM
skyhawk172n
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: another fuel proofing question

I always use thinned epoxy to fuelproof the forward end of the a/c. The small amount you will get in the blind nuts is ok, it helps lock the screws in after building. A word of caution in the color scheme, though. I had a .60 size pattern plane long ago with black as a base color, and bright colors for trim, and it was next to impossible to keep track of the attitude of the a/c. Landings were a real chore if you have anything in the background on short final. Having said that, I STILL would like a P-61 or P-38M to look coolwith at the field!!!

Roy
Old 02-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Use 20-minute finish cure epoxy for fuel proofing. It is not necessary to thin it since it already flows like water. LustreKote can be used as a fuel proofer, but you would need a couple of coats and LustreKote can't handle 20% or more nitro.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:02 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Put the screws in the holes before applying thinned epoxy. The epoxy is so thin that you'll have no trouble breaking the screws free if any gets in there.

Or you can skip both of your methods and spray everything with a spray Polyurethane, then paint right over it.

PS Ditto on the black. it's very hard to see details. If you do use it, make sure to add lots of light color, especially to the Leading Edge of the wing.