Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What do you think of this statement?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What do you think of this statement?

Old 02-11-2005, 01:49 PM
_ELiTeCooKie_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of this statement?

I hope this is in the right area of the forum. This is to do with the comparions between real size aircraft and model aircraft.

I said: "
Like i've told you for the 101th time; Model aviation and full size aircraft are totally different from one another in terms of flying wise.

The skills and experience one picks up from flying a real aircraft has little effect when beckoning upon a flight with an aviation model! "

The ignorant fool replied with "LOL. What rubbish".

What do you think?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:53 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What do you think of this statement?

ORIGINAL: _ELiTeCooKie_

I said: "
Like i've told you for the 101th time; Model aviation and full size aircraft are totally different from one another in terms of flying wise.

The skills and experience one picks up from flying a real aircraft has little effect when beckoning upon a flight with an aviation model! "

What do you think?
Considering the number of Full Scale Pilots that I fly RC with, I'd say he's got a point.

Considering the experiance that you have flying RC and that I have and others, we've got a point too.

Spacial disorientation is the biggest thing for anyone to get over in the hobby that understands what it takes to keep a heavier than air propeller driven or other propusion aircraft in the air.

Once over that, it's easy for all of us

Oh, and, what do you care what he thinks?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:57 PM
_ELiTeCooKie_

RC and full size are the complete opposite thing to one another.

This guy has never had any experience whatsoever with regards to flying RC and thinks he took off, flew around and landed on his FIRST ATTEMPT. First off I told him that was nonsense cos no one in their right mind would let someone fly a plane with no experience whatsoever: its unsafe and risks damaging/crashing the model. [this is with no buddy lead or anything, just handed the tranny over and let him take off, fly and land]

PS: they were slating that we fly "toy aeroplanes"
Old 02-11-2005, 03:17 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Put the pilot on a buddy box.......
Old 02-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope this is in the right area of the forum. This is to do with the comparions between real size aircraft and model aircraft.

I said: "Like i've told you for the 101th time; Model aviation and full size aircraft are totally different from one another in terms of flying wise.

What do you think?
I think someone's taking things too seriously. Smile, nod, and go about your business.

If there's actually a conflict here, not just a couple kids claiming the longest appendage, then it can be quickly resolved. With hardware.

If the other party isn't interested.... smile, nod, and go about your business.

Unless you're just trolling to stir up some responses.
Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 02-11-2005, 04:45 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

If you think they are so different, go take a flying lesson. I spot landed a Decathlon to pick up my instructor on the day I soloed. And flying real planes taught me how to slip and land correctly in a cross wind. They are exactly the same. It is just a matter of perspective. "In the plane" is easier than "looking at the plane" most of the time. But go make yourself dizzy and you will wish you were "looking at the plane" !
Old 02-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I took pilot lessons my instructor said the following comment 20 minutes into my first lesson and I quote "you fly model airplanes dont you" I was to preoccupied to say anything but yes- But to this day i wonder what tipped him off...

In response to the first question: some people can do what he is claiming. Can he?? call him to task and see... then let us know who was right....
Old 02-11-2005, 04:51 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Broken

But to this day i wonder what tipped him off...
Maybe it was when he said, "start the engine", and you took out a Chicken Stick.

True, 90% of each aspect will translate to the other...

But Ohhhh, that other 10% is a killer!
Old 02-12-2005, 06:13 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

RC and full size are the complete opposite thing to one another.

This guy has never had any experience whatsoever with regards to flying RC and thinks he took off, flew around and landed on his FIRST ATTEMPT. First off I told him that was nonsense cos no one in their right mind would let someone fly a plane with no experience whatsoever: its unsafe and risks damaging/crashing the model. [this is with no buddy lead or anything, just handed the tranny over and let him take off, fly and land]

PS: they were slating that we fly "toy aeroplanes"
Well, Actually they are exactly the same, only smaller. It's just a matter of where your butt is when flying(ie: not in the plane). I'd say models are a whole lot safer.(for the most part)

Also, I hate to clue you in to this, but they ARE toy airplanes. Nothing wrong with that at all! I like my "toys".
Old 02-12-2005, 06:37 AM
AgCat1982

I am afraid I have to agree with your friend. With almost 2,000 hours in full scale, I know all about aerodynamics, what it takes to keep a plane up, what a stall is, how to roll, how to loop, what elevators and rudders and ailerons do and why and how, etc. Most non pilots have to learn all this, along with remotely controlling the plane. I only had to get used to looking up at the plane and keep it turning the right way. I flew my first plane and landed it on the first flight, with no help. What person would let anyone do that? Me. I own the plane. No one is going to stop me. I fly by myself and taught myself because there is no club close by. Well, I would have taught my self anyway! I didn't want someone else telling me when I could and could not fly my own planes. I would like to belong to a club, tho, and I am a member of AMA.

Everyone is different. For some it might make matters worse, but I didn't find that to be the case when I started.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:43 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

My experience has been that "mature" full size pilots are the easiest to teach. They already understand what really make aircraft fly and understand the effect of controls. I always try to teach my students how to use all controls to achieve smooth flight. The students with no full-size experience have an especially hard time to master the use of the rudder and fail to understand why they need to use it. It is amazing what a pleasure it is to watch the smooth and precise flying done by full-size pilots that put their experience to work. They also become proficient pilots sooner than others. They also tend to stay in the hobby/sport/obsession much longer.

I have reached the point where I am no longer interested to teach students who are not prepared to study flight theory at home. They never become good pilots and never stay around long. Why waste time on someone who considers R/C flying as "just another thing to try?" These wannebees can stay at home and play with simulators.

Just my 2c.

Safety is no accident!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:16 AM
_ELiTeCooKie_

Jesus christ I cant believe the responses I got in reply to this....
I have flown full size and flown an RC aircraft and they are NOTHING LIKE EACH OTHER
yes the physics applies to them i.e. same techniques required in landing but this means nothing

they are now toy aeroplanes now? oh yep thats right
Old 02-12-2005, 11:48 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get your nose out of the clouds and enjoy the hobby.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:20 PM
saramos

Differences: Construction materials, perspective, and power to weight ratio.
Commonalities: Just about everything else.

Scott
Old 02-12-2005, 05:23 PM
AgCat1982

What the devil are you talking about? Nothing like each other? What world are you from?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Broken

Jesus christ I cant believe the responses I got in reply to this....
I have flown full size and flown an RC aircraft and they are NOTHING LIKE EACH OTHER
yes the physics applies to them i.e. same techniques required in landing but this means nothing

they are now toy aeroplanes now? oh yep thats right
I wonder- You give a prime example of how they are similar. and still say they are "NOTHING LIKE EACH OTHER"??? You better edit your post before others learn of your hypocrisy.. And be more carefull in the future...
Old 02-13-2005, 03:10 PM
skyhawk172n

As a relatively low-time full scale pilot, ~700tt, 200night,100 hard IFR, with a little aerobatics, high performance, multi, and turbine thrown in, my only comment is that the only part of either that does not translate well to the other is when an R/C plane is coming directly at you and manuvering. I "learned" to fly R/C first,(and I use that term loosely!) then went to F/S. EVERYTHING in R/C helped me learn quickly to place the A/C where I wanted it to be, instead of being a glorified passenger. That's not to say I didn't make some of the same mistakes beginners make, but I was able to recognize and correct them without my instructors direction (most of the time) It taught me that just because a plane is in a steep spiral, or an accelerated stall, or too high and fast on short final, that all is not lost. FLY THE PLANE! Going from F/S to R/C taught me not to yank the A/C off the runway too soon, or pull too tight in a 90 deg. banked turn, and that all is not lost when the big fan up front goes quiet.FLY THE PLANE!

Having said all that, it's still fun to hand the tx to a multi-thousand hour ATP who we all know can fly anything, then take it back about 20 seconds later. Then next time, he asks for help instead of telling YOU how!

Anyway, I'm back having LOTS of fun with R/C after a few years of spotty attendance.
Roy
Old 02-13-2005, 08:43 PM
_ELiTeCooKie_

Jesus...... one is full size and the other is a model.

one you're in the cockpit, the other you're not.......... they are different in terms of controlling them.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Broken

Ohh I get it now- You are absolutely right!

For instance my models can do things real planes (F/S) can only dream of like -flat spin / stall / barrel roll / split s and even snap. My model can even flair on landings, deploy flaps and landing gear. I would like to see full scale plane do that.

They ARE absolutely different. No question....

Full scale planes use a well defined and understood system of aerodynamics to maintain flight. And models (Being nothing like their larger counterparts) are flying off of pure will and magic fairy dust. Anyone who understands basic aerodynamics would certainly not be able to understand model flight er- magic- in any way.

Well I off to the enchanted forest to kidnap some fairies (need more dust)...
Old 02-14-2005, 07:07 AM
_ELiTeCooKie_

omg you stupid ****

so you're telling me that if you have a PPL you can fly r/c aircraft straight away?

NO homo of course you can't. apparently r/c is harder to fly than real aircraft
Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 AM
Scar

Elite,

If you're not just a troller....

Wait two weeks until your emotional disturbance clears, then re-read all your posts.

Get a grip. See your physician. Do something to get ahold of yourself.

Dave Olson
ps if you're just a troller, it's working.

Edited to remove quote with foul language.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

This thread is going nowhere very quickly. It has quickly gone from a mild debate to a full blown argument. Nothing good can come of this. It is time to shut it down before there is anymore breaches of RCU policies.