Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

3 switches for 3 batteries?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

3 switches for 3 batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3 switches for 3 batteries?

OK, I'm finishing up my 1/4 scale Byron's CAP21. I've got a 1/4 scale rudder servo, smoke and my RX. The rudder servo is a HiTec 775, and it's instructions say to use a 'y' harness, and give it it's own battery. The smoker is Sullivan Skywriter. It also says to have it's own battery, perferably 6 volt or higher. Finally my RX, which will use a 2800 ma NiMH. Now, if I have my regular switch setup, it will shut off the RX when switched off, but that won't shut off the 1/4 scale servo or the smoke pump will it? So do I need a seperate switch for each one?
Old 02-14-2005, 11:36 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: 3 switches for 3 batteries?

Yes and no. You need to at least unplug the batteries or you risk the system feeding unwanted power to the servo or smoke pump.

If you use switches......use charge jack switches. Then at least they serve a second purpose. (my 35% edge has 4 switches, Rx batt....extra Rx batt....ignition....smoke..)
Old 02-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Stick Jammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean 755? I don't see that servo needing it's own battery. The digital counterpart to that servo would be the 5735 which operates just fine from the Rx battery as long as the wire is of sufficient size. I would think the 5735 draws more current than the 755. A better set-up might be two Rx batteries with two switches. This way you have redundancy to the whole system. You will of coarse need a separate battery and switch for the smoke pump either way you go.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer

Do you mean 755? I don't see that servo needing it's own battery. The digital counterpart to that servo would be the 5735 which operates just fine from the Rx battery as long as the wire is of sufficient size. I would think the 5735 draws more current than the 755. A better set-up might be two Rx batteries with two switches. This way you have redundancy to the whole system. You will of coarse need a separate battery and switch for the smoke pump either way you go.
Oops, actually it is the 705MG. It's a big bugger. 177oz @4.8V. It's big time overkill for this bird, but it needed a home. It says it needs it's own battery right in the booklet it came with. But, maybe that is if you are using the 600 ma Nicd RX packs that are packaged with Flight packs and new radios? Where in the bloody hell am I going to mount all these switches? I can't mount right to the side, as it is 'Byrofoam', about 3/4" thick. I will have to build a switch box mount and use a wire sticking through the side. I don't want to have 3 wires sticking out the side. That'd look like hell.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:03 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

You can always glue a plywood mount plate on the inside and put your switchs in that.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Stick Jammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops, actually it is the 705MG. It's a big bugger. 177oz @4.8V.
The 705MG has the same case dimensions as the 5735 digital. The 5735 is rated at 222oz. @ 4.8V and weighs about 1/2 oz. more than the 705. Still can't see how the 705 needs a separate battery even though the instructions state that it does. If you run dual high capacity batteries and switches to the Rx you will be fine. Actually, if you use a standard "Y" harness to hook up a separate battery to the 705, that battery is still feeding the rest of the servos through the receiver buss. The only way to have a true separate battery is to cut the red wire going to the Rx. At any rate, with the smoke pump you are looking at 3 switches no matter what. If you have a gas engine w/electronic ignition you'll need 4 switches.