Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Soldering tips

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 11:25 AM
iamrandy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering tips

wondering how important the typoe of flux used is. am going to do silver sodlering...is there a special flux for silver solder, or will most any flux do?
thank you in advance
Old 02-26-2005, 12:47 PM
skyhawk172n
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Soldering tips

Yes, there is a special flux for silver solder. I don't think lead solder flux will interchange, but I haven't tried it...
Roy
Old 02-26-2005, 01:40 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great planes sells Ultra Bright, I think that's the name. Works very good. I would experiment with scrap pieces at first, not your plane. Take this advice from a guy who crashed a FuntanaS 40 due to a weak soldering joint on an elevator control rod. That sucked. I use titanium turn buckles now. No more soldering for me.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:16 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Not silversoldering! That requires a propane torch!
I assume you meen sweet soldering...?!
Most soldering in a model airplane is done with a sweet soldering iron like the "Weller" iron with automatic temperature iron plated tip in the picture (30 years old iron).
The best solder on the market for soldering links and pianowire is called " Stay Brite " and its sold by Great planes.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45151.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	235184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61362.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	235185   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23232.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	235186  
Old 02-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Staybrite is a silver bearing (not very much silver but is stronger than plain lead/tin solder) but uses an acid flux which must be thoroughly cleaned after soldering to prevent continuous corrosion at the solder joint. Most soldering for model use can be done with plain old tin/lead solder with rosin flux. This will even work well for clevis and other connectors. However, if soldering heavy load bearing items like landing gear, you need to use an acid core solder and a larger iron followed by a rigurous cleaning of the acid flux when done. Most bad joints are the result of insufficient cleaning prior to soldering and/or to small an iron. If you have a choice, always use the larger capacity iron and then do not tary on the joint, just get the solder flowing and get off letting it cool before any movement of the joined parts.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:01 PM
rickygsg

and now for my two cents...or is it three with inflation and all....anyway clean the joint clean the joint clean the joint...is the constant repeating of clean the joint makeing you think this is very important...it is. second bit of advice is to not be stingy with the flux as it will do two things for you. one is to assist in the proper flow of the solder the other is to assist in burning off any impuritys missed by....here we go again...cleaning the joint. get a good clean and good flux with a judicious amount of heat and youll have no problem. the best way to judge your heat when useing stay bright (which has 2% silver by the way) is to heat it with a propane torch turned down as far as you can get it but still lit and heat just to the not quite glowing point. hope this helps.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:03 PM
rickygsg

oh and by the way you can find 2% silver at home depot for about 2 dollers less. comes in a package that looks just like stay bright but has some other name on it...anywho its the same stuff.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

"propane torch turned down as far as you can get it but still lit and heat just to the not quite glowing point. hope this helps."

I find that a propane torch is far too much heat for most solder joints on a model... unless the joint/material to be joined is "HUGE"... even when turned all the way down. A weller 40-60 watt wide tip iron will be plenty of heat even for 1/4 scale Cub landing gears! For many propane torch users it is far too easy to overheat the material riuning the "Clean" by creating fresh oxidation not to mention ruining the temper of the wire in the process. The 40 watt iron will solder 2% silver very... very quickly with very little risk of overheating the joint or changing the temper. I personally have propane and acetalyne torches with tips ranging from 00 to HUGE. The only time I use them is if I have to perform high silver content soldering, alumiweld , brazing or doing plumbing work. For everything else I use one of my three irons. JMHO.

One other thing... a little flux goes a very long way... it is not a substitute for cleaning... too much only makes more mess to clean up later.

Dan
Old 03-01-2005, 04:41 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Agree!
I use my propane torch and gas welding equipment for heavy use on other things than on my models.
As I said earlier, a 50-75 W Weller soldering iron with iron plated tips is what I recommend. It can solder 5-7mm piano wire with ease.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden