Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Engine recemmondation

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Engine recemmondation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:01 PM
SpectrePilot
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine recemmondation

I have a Funtana 90 and was going to put a Saito 180 on it but I was thinking of trying a gas engine. Not know much about the size can anyone recommend a gas engine that would give similar performance. Is there a chart anywhere that compares gas to nitro?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:56 AM
McFlyboy

Default RE: Engine recemmondation

don't think so, but try the same question in the 3d forum, there's a lot of funtanas in there.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:20 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

A gas engine will hurt this plane because of the weight. The two best are (1) YS 110 or the (2) Saito 100 both using a APC 16x4W. Dennis
Old 03-02-2005, 06:38 PM
Stick Jammer

Yeah, the size of that plane is not very well suited for gas. A Saito 1.80 is a bit much too.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:14 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

I own the Saito 1.8 and have seen the F .90. The max reco. engine is a 1.00,, but my plans are to use a 1.20 4 stroke. I would not use a gas burner,, too heavy,, wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much power on the big engines. The plane would be too heavy and / or way off CG. To make a really great flier.. use the Saito. 1.2 Jim
Old 03-06-2005, 01:24 AM
pundi

Hi, i recently built a kadet with a wingspan of 78in and weights around 5kg without fuel (if i weighed it right). it has got a thunder tiger 61 in it and would not take off on its maiden flight as it kept turning to the left. a more experianced flier said it was overpowered, but did not seem like it to me. please help.
the kadet has only three channels. if anyone can tell me how to post a picture i will.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:00 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Hey Pundi,
You should post a new message describing your problem so everyone has a chance to help you
There are a few reasons that could explain why your plane goes left. Chances are it has a lot to do with right engine thrust and or your vertical fin is miss-aligned. Standing behind the craft is your engine turned to the right or left? Also check your fin and make sure it is straight with the fuse.
Although the .61 is a large capable engine, proper throttle control on take off and general flying etc should prove to be a good combo. I would say your trouble lies elsewhere!
Old 03-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am assembling a 90 Funtana for a friend of mine. Were putting a 160fx in it.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That more experienced flyer is an idiot. Two things that come to mind, Flying skill---or do you have any right thrust on the engine, this will help a bit.

ORIGINAL: pundi

Hi, i recently built a kadet with a wingspan of 78in and weights around 5kg without fuel (if i weighed it right). it has got a thunder tiger 61 in it and would not take off on its maiden flight as it kept turning to the left. a more experianced flier said it was overpowered, but did not seem like it to me. please help.
the kadet has only three channels. if anyone can tell me how to post a picture i will.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:44 AM
pundi

thanks everyone i will find the problem and let you know! the more experiance flyer has been flying for 40+ yrs and is used to his own controller and Probably couldnt work out my Modern Controls.
So is there a chance that it might be overpowered.
Can anyone please tell me how to post pictures.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:34 PM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: pundi

So is there a chance that it might be overpowered.
The term really doesn't mean a lot by itself. The 60 is certainly way more then the Senior Kadet was designed for. It's a slow flying trainer, after all. My first Senior flew nicely with a pre-Surpass OS 40FS that had about the same power as a good 25. If you want a neat, fun, slow flying plane, put an LA40 or GP40 on it with an 11/4 or 11.5/4 prop on it and enjoy puttering around. Otherwise, it's a little like putting a 454 in a Geo. It can't do the things it does best.