Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fueling through T connector

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fueling through T connector

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 02:20 PM
mayafeba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling through T connector

Hi, and thanks in advance

Is it possible to fuel with a T connector between the Engine and the fuel tank?

Will it be OK just to close the carb barrel through the Tx?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21030.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	238015  
Old 03-04-2005, 02:42 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fueling through T connector

This is assuming we are talking about a glow powered engine.

If the t-fitting is between the tank and the carb then you will most likely flood the engine. If the t-fitting is on the vent/pressure line then you will be pumping fuel out the muffler and depending on the muffler you may also flood the engine.

If you can get to the vent line, then just fuel it through there but you must be careful that you do not put to much in and push the fuel out to the carb (to defuel the tank you will need to turn the plane upside down),

If you can get to the line on the carb, which would be better, then fuel/defuel it through there.

If the engine is completely cowled in then add a third line to the tank, with a second clunk in the tank, just keep the second clunk line about 1/2 inch shorter and use the third line to fuel/defuel the tank. Just make sure you plug this line before you fly and after you drain the fuel out.

The best solution is the third fuel/defuel line and once you have done it once, you will do it on all of your planes, no more disconnecting fuel lines.

ORIGINAL: mayafeba

Hi, and thanks in advance

Is it possible to fuel with a T connector between the Engine and the fuel tank?

Will it be OK just to close the carb barrel through the Tx?

Old 03-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

On a glow engine a lot will depend on the type of engine and how fast you are feeding fuel into the tank. I have never had an engine flood using this system, but this was a ST75 and ST90. If you used a air bleed carb, I would guess that it would flood.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:01 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: bubbagates
If you can get to the vent line, then just fuel it through there but you must be careful that you do not put to much in and push the fuel out to the carb (to defuel the tank you will need to turn the plane upside down),
Can you explain how this would work? The only way I can figure is if you stand the plane on its nose while fueling.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:40 PM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mayafeba -- yes you can do it -- I use the same method on a couple of models. You have to close the needle-valve to fill the tank, or fuel will leak past the needle into the carb (makes a nice mess). You have to do the same thing to drain the tank as well. I us a fuel dot to plug the fill line.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is safe to say that most of the dirt that gets into a fuel system comes from the fuel can itself. Why would you want to introduce this dirt directly into your carburetor? T's in any main fuel line doesn't make any sense to me. Solution: Use three lines - fill, vent, and fuel.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:00 PM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Can you explain how this would work? The only way I can figure is if you stand the plane on its nose while fueling.
As wierd as it sounds. I have seen it done and by a long time R/C pilot. He would stand it up, fuel it, fly it, flip it over, drain the fuel and run the engine until it ran out.

I have also had people tee right off the line going from the tank to the carb and flood the engine everytime. They would bring it into the shop complaining that the engine was always flooded and they always had to remove the plug and drain the fuel out before they could start it. So the first thing I look for is how it is fueled.

Personally I use the 3 line method on glow planes. Just my prefered method
Old 03-04-2005, 04:20 PM
RedLyons

Since they haven't been mentioned, what are the opinions of the filler valves that go in the line between the tank and the carb that automatically shut off the carb while you're filling?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD745&P=0

All the convience of the inline T, with no flooding, and one less line in the tank.

Just curious why they haven't been recomended.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM
MerlinL14

The Quick fillers are great, for about 3 months................The seal (O ring) can and will split, any small dirt partical will keep the valve slightly open introducing air into the line. Methonol and Nitro in the fuel will evaporate but castor will not, if left for a week or so the castor goes tacky and can also cause the valve to not close completely. I have even used to more expensive Dubro Quick fillers and had problems after a while. Go with the 3 line method and fuel dots.
p.s. Just noticed your link shows the Dubro Quick filler .
Old 03-04-2005, 04:35 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: britbrat

Mayafeba -- yes you can do it -- I use the same method on a couple of models. You have to close the needle-valve to fill the tank...
And readjust the needle for every flight? No thanks. The already recommended 3 line setup works so much easier.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:57 PM
sedrick

If you are too cheap to buy a fuel dot or an inline fueler just exit a loop of the fuel line from the tank to the carb by drilling 2 holes in the cowl or the fuse. Use a fuel line connector or one of the fuel line bulk head fittings so that you can access the line towards the tank. This works everytime for filling and emptying the tank. The fuel filter can be on the carb side of the loop.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:55 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: sedrick

If you are too cheap to buy a fuel dot or an inline fueler...
Who u callin cheap?
Actually, I have 3 different setups right now. On 2 planes I'm using inline fuel valves. On one I have a fuel dot at the end of a 3rd line. And on the 4th plane I have a 3rd line hanging out of the bottom of the cowl. I just plug it with a little bolt. All work well. Future planes will use one of the 2 3 line setups, except for those where I can get to the carb easily, then I will stick with 2 lines.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:56 PM
piper_chuck

As wierd as it sounds. I have seen it done and by a long time R/C pilot. He would stand it up, fuel it...
That's got to be an interesting balancing act.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Stick Jammer

As wierd as it sounds. I have seen it done and by a long time R/C pilot. He would stand it up, fuel it, fly it, flip it over, drain the fuel and run the engine until it ran out.
My question for this method would be "Why?" There are so many other methods of plumbing the tank that make life a whole lot easier.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:04 AM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: Stick Jammer

My question for this method would be "Why?" There are so many other methods of plumbing the tank that make life a whole lot easier.
I've found that one does not ask such a question to some people. You just have to let them do things the way they've always done things.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:35 AM
bubbagates

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

As wierd as it sounds. I have seen it done and by a long time R/C pilot. He would stand it up, fuel it...
That's got to be an interesting balancing act.

Chuck,

The ironic thing is the plane is an Ultimate with a Saito 150 in it so he can only get to the vent/pressure line. He leaves the wings on so it leans on them to hold it up. It's quite a site to see. He doesn't come out that much but the next time I see this I'll get some pics. I know it's really hard to believe but what can I say