Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

My light bulb lit up again !

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

My light bulb lit up again !

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 07:48 PM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My light bulb lit up again !

I build planes so im not trying to squeeze a car thing into this forum,But I was looking at a set of vintage wheels ww1 type with plastic hubs.Im thinking that it may be fun to build a small 1/12 size or smaller,soap box derby type car,using the same style frame work as our planes,use some nice glossy covering,add those wheels on wire axles,make a little wind sheild,put some stick on weights,ect and you can make a nice car like those
pine cars instead of all that hard carving of wood like the ones they sell. This would be more detailed and more skillfull to make. Anouther words Im thinking it could be a whole new kind of pine derby style contest car. Im going to atempt making one and show you how it comes out.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:12 PM
dicknadine

Default RE: My light bulb lit up again !

surprise. we did that back in the 1930's. trying to decide what my next Soap Box Derby Racer should like, my dad said why not make a model of it- your always building model airplanse. took him up on it and we created some nice looking cars. built full size and pretty good race wise.cars. unfortunitly at the slow speeds, streamling didn't make much difference speed, lots of good comments tho. it taught me a lot about drafting and engineering, which has payed off with a lifetime career of automobile and aircraft design. sure has helped in designing and building model airplanes-- without a computor. at 80 years young and still learning alittle about computors (begrudgingly). I can send an Email and coorespond on RCU. back to my hand drawing, scartch designer and builder. dick
Old 03-05-2005, 08:41 AM
NJ Georgee
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: My light bulb lit up again !

Thanks for your reply Dick.I give you alot of credit your open minded about computers is very good.I have relatives in Texas that are young in their 40s and wont touch a computer.I told them how I could send pictures of our family and My newest addition a 5 year old grandson. But their so set in there ways they wont touch a computer.So we dont even talk anymore.
So you did this in the 30s That was surprising when you said 30s,Where going back a few years...lol I was thinking this could even sell as a kit,A whole new hobby.Like stick and tissue cars,that come with wheels. If putting patents on things was'nt so expensive
I would do it. Because this could be a new hobby,I wish I could scratch build planes like you but Im in a trailer and my east wing doesnt permit this...lol My wife is covered in balsa dust as it is with a kit.I was going to get a scroll saw to do this but then realized the mess it would make. well thanks again for your reply.Im glad at 80 your doing so fine.