Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Booby Prize

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 12:09 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Booby Prize

Booby Prize

At the time of evening door prize drawing, I got no less than 57 of the spring steel 5/32" diameter wire for steerable nose landing gear. The most general shape is that of a 1/2" diameter loop, then two legs, one short and one long, with an angle at the bottom for a wheel hub. I figure that is a lot of crashes and resulting A/C scrappings by the donor of the door prize. They are all most generally of size to fit the combo motor/stearable gear mounts of the 40 engine size. I can maybe use one or two of them, but never all 57 of them.

Any ideas as to how to use so many? Has anyone brazed brackets onto the spring steel wire for mounting purposes and thus used them in main gear positions?

Wm.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:08 PM
CP140

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Booby Prize

Oh man... that's a lot of nose gears(noses gear?!?). I won't take the obvious route of suggesting a large multi wheeled airplane like a 747/C5 or one of the many wheeled russian transports... so how about this..

Mount gear blocks sideways in a rib bay(reinforced of course), complete with steering arm. Hook servos to an AUX channel and use them as a crosswind landing gear like a B-52?

Cut one short, weld them together and mount in normal position and end up with a dual nose wheel? Could look very 'fighterish'

Seriously, I have no idea what to do with all of them...take a few yourself and give the rest to someone to get rid of at a swap meet?

57? Man that's alot of written off airframes!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Spaceclam

wend them together and smash stuff.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:48 AM
McFlyboy

do some kind of funky arty type thing, win the turner art prize, then use the cheque to buy something to fit the leftovers in.