Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Tail dragger vs. Tricyle?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tail dragger vs. Tricyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Downtrodden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail dragger vs. Tricyle?

I learned to fly glow using a tail dragger, but I understand that it is recommended that tricycle gear be used to start with. Is this true? Personally, I find the trike gear to be more difficult to fly, especially off a grass or gravel runway. Should I be telling future pilots to purchase a plane with trike or tail-dragger gear? I've been putting guys up with the use of a trainer cord and being that we're just a bunch of bush pilots without the benefit of a AMA field or trainer, I just want to give the guys in the newly formed club the best chance available.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:24 PM
McFlyboy

Default RE: Tail dragger vs. Tricyle?

As long as the planes stable enough on landing, it's 6 of 1 and half a dozen. I learned to fly taildragger, but I've helped heaps of guys with trike and we all end up the same. Just make sure they get something they're comfortable flying, thats the best way.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:28 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

Yea definatly a matter of prefrence. I personnally think a tail dragger you have more control of the plane and you dont have to set up an extra control rod. I convert all of my trikes to tail draggers anyway cuz I love em so much.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:21 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

My first few planes were trikes. Now I only have a couple of trike gear planes in my hangar. To me, they both seem the same now, but at first taildraggers were definitely trickier on an asphalt runway.......For new people, I would probably recommend a trike gear setup if flying from an aspahlt runway, it's one less thing to worry about, either would be fine if flying from grass.