Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is 5% fuel OK to use?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is 5% fuel OK to use?

Old 03-12-2005, 09:13 PM
rugrad02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is 5% fuel OK to use?

I have no hobby shops close to me and I dont want to spend the shipping costs for the fuel. Recently on an out of town trip I stopped in at a hobby shop desperate to find some fuel and all they had was 5% Wildcat fuel. I am used to using 10%. Is there any disadvantage to using 5%? Is it okay to use it in an engine that is used to 10%? Thanks

KB
Old 03-12-2005, 09:54 PM
McFlyboy

Default RE: Is 5% fuel OK to use?

What is the engine? You should be okay, but the needles(high and low-end) will need tweaking, and you might lose a little power.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:30 AM
bbbair

Most engines work well on 5% Nitro fuel, European engines are designed to work on 0% Nitro.

Studies have been done to show the effect of higher nitro blends on performance, Yes more nitro means higher RPMs - but once you pass the 5% mark the increase in performance is marginal.

Basically if you are competing and every ounce of speed is important - Go for the extra nitro!

If you are just a Sport flier that likes to bore a hole in the sky, 5% will work well for you. You'll just have to tweek the needle settings a bit.

Of Greater concern should be the amount of Castor Oil in the blend - regardless what engine you have you need the oil to keep the engine cool and lubricated. (there are lots of threads on that subject!)

Happy Landings!
Old 03-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Nothing wrong with 5%, actually it is probably better for the engine in the long run. I use mostly 5% and dont see a tremendous difference with 10% when I do use it.