Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

building question in detail

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

building question in detail

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 10:55 PM
ebeygin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building question in detail

NEED HELP FAST...
very eager to continue my wing.. so I want to know what I should do...

Here it goes..

I build my wing on a slightly curved suface.. (slightly)....
if this is the wing --> -------------XXX--------------

x is the fuselage...

dashes are the wings...

so my wing is bent like this: the tip.. and the part that's attached to the fuselage are higher than the middle part.. so if I put the wing on a real FLAT suface, then those two sides (the tip and the part close to the fus.) will be up from the ground .. having a distance of 3 millimeters (each)... so If i pin one side to the ground.. then the other tip will be 6 millimeters from the ground.

3 millimeters = 1/16 inch

So my questions are:
HOW BIG OF A PROBLEM IS THIS?
HOW CAN I FIX IT?.. and if I can't or shouldn't.. SHOULD I BUILD THE OTHER WING LIKE THAT TOO?

Thanks a lot for your help, all!
Old 09-19-2002, 11:05 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The wing sounds like it has what I would call an upward bow or warp, so to speak. This is really not that critical as far as the bow goes. What you need to be very concerned about, from this point on, is outright twisting...No twisting allowed, that's where alot of problems can occur.
So, as long as the angle of attack is cool, and each tip has the correct amount of wash-out(if there's any at all), you'll be OK. If you do end up with a twist of any kind, don't yet worry. You can give it some adjustment when you cover it. Yes, iron on covering is nice for removing and aligning wings sometimes. I do hope this helps. Good luck.
Get back to us here if you need some more help.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:11 PM
ebeygin

Default thanks!

what's angle of attack, and wash-out... sorry new at this.. don't quite get those phrases...

TO my luck.. I don't have any Twistings... the wing is perfectly flat that way... only that the tip and side close to the fuselage are off the ground a bit...I GOT very worried, because It says in the instruction manual that the board must be absolutely positivly flat, or else my plane won't fly properly....I was hoping that the angle is very small.. and there won't be too much trouble...

So your saying that if my wing tip is 2/16 inches of the ground and the other side close the fuselage is touching the floor, there isn't that much of a problem? Hopefully , I understood you properly!

Thanks again
Old 09-20-2002, 03:29 AM
AirplaneDan98

2/16 (1/8) is a very small amount. Is it even noticeable by eye? I don't think it will be noticeable at all.

Angle of attack is the angle that the wing is flying at. If you pull up elevator you increase the angle of attack and vise versa. Positive angle of attack is where the leading edge is higher than the trailing edge, negative AoE is when the trailing edge is higher than the leading edge.

Washout is a twist that's built in the wing on purpose. If you look at the wing, the trailing edge at the wing tip will be higher than at the root (the part of the wing that meats the fuse is usually called the root). The reason for having washout is so the plane stalls gently.

I hope I didn't confuse you more. Dan
Old 09-20-2002, 03:55 AM
ebeygin

Default phew!~

Thank god.. i was worried.. thanks for clearing that up....

it's actually 2/16....

it's 1/16 on each side of a single wing.. so if I pin the root down.. then the wing tip will have a hight of 2/16 inches from the ground....

is this also small?
Old 09-20-2002, 05:12 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't mean to confuse you there. I think totally, that if you don't have any twists, which these are commonly referred to as "warps" you'll be fine. Not to worry...as I said, and I think several other builders will agree, just keep it straight from now on, and no warps, and you'll be flying before you know it.
You will definately want an experienced flyer to go over your plane, he will know what to look for, and give you any suggestions you might need.
Do you have an instructor lined up? or a club or flying site to go to? That will be your best bet to success is a good instructor, and site. And of course RCUniverse....keep reading here, there's a world of RC info right here.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:43 AM
arjunchopra

Which is a better Thinning Agent Alcohol or Acetone ?

Why ?

Regards.

Arjun