Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Alerion to Rudder Mixing, Do I Need it.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Alerion to Rudder Mixing, Do I Need it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 02:55 AM
vai777p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alerion to Rudder Mixing, Do I Need it.

Hi All,

I am upgrading to a 6 channel radio the Futaba 6DA or the 6VA. I can get the 6VA much cheaper than the 6DA however it does not have Alerion to Rudder mixing. Do you really need this function, also I am just starting out on trainers but also want my transmitter to have room to grow into. Having said that if it is a function you don't really use to often I'd rather spend less and just the cheaper option,

What do you all think ?
Old 03-20-2005, 03:04 AM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Alerion to Rudder Mixing, Do I Need it.

Best piece of advice you could receive is:
buy the best that you can afford. I would have saved many dollars if I would have just bought an 8 or 9 channel computer radio to begin with. The mixing you speak of is nice but, learn to fly with the rudder and it is unnecessary.
Just my 2 cents!
Cheers
Old 03-20-2005, 07:27 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed, buy the best radio you can afford. After all its the only thing that you use on every plane. I own a PCM 9X. Having said that I have only used aileron to rudder mixing on my unltimate bipe.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:41 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I wouldn't recommend rudder to aileron mixing. That is, at least until you get to the point where you want to fly IMAAC or Pattern compeition.

Seriously, you should be learning to use the left thumb for rudder control, and mixing it with the transmitter will slow your progress.

While I agree with "buying the best transmitter you can afford" idea, the difference between the Va and Da isn't going to matter. I wouldn't "step up" to the better transmitter unless you can at least afford to go with the 7CAP or something better.
Dennis-
Old 03-20-2005, 09:50 AM
carrellh

The Futaba 6DA and the 6VA are both discontinued radios. If the are 'new old stock' at a hobby shop I'd pass on both and buy a current model radio; even if it meant I had to wait a while to get my finances situated. If you're buying used, just be sure it is a super deal. Non-computer, new, 6 channel systems start at about $130.

The Hitec Optic 6 is 209.99 at Tower Hobbies http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXGZW3**&P=0 and it has multiple mixes. It also has memory to store settings for 6 or 8 planes.

The Futaba 6EXA is being replaced by the 6EXAS. The 6EXA is $179.99 and stores 6 models. The 6EXAS will be $220 when it comes out and has basic digital servos versus the basic ball bearing servos that come with the Optic 6 and 6EXA. I have no idea what the other differences are between the 6EXA and 6EXAS.

I'd choose the Optic 6 over either Futaba 6 channel. It has more features that you might want in future planes.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:37 PM
vai777p

awesome thanks so far for all your input, the radio i have been looking at on ebay is this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...963787378&rd=1 . As I fly electric planes i only need the transmitter and will use the rest of my money to buy a flight pack with mini servos and ESC etc. I have been looking at the computer radios also and while I fully agree 100% that it would be the ideal choice I need to budget carefully as i also am going to get an Alfa FW-190 and will then need to get the brushless motor- batter-charger etc and all this adds up big time !!
Old 03-20-2005, 11:55 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I also agree: go with the most you can afford, it will srve you well down the road. As for rudder/aileron mixing, DB is right-you should learn to use that left stick for more than just throttle, you'll feel more comfortable and will be a more competent pilot. That said, I still mix rudder with aileron for certain planes, and can turn it off at the flip of a switch. It's nice for just poking around, to make nice coordinated turns with one stick, but you can get lazy that way. I use a 9C, and mix about 30-40% rudder. It still allows me to "override" it with a greater rudder input, or I can still use opposite rudder to sideslip or make a flat turn.

BTW- the 7C or 9C are worth a look-great radios