Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Are there any devices that can be mounted in an R/C plane to show speed, g's, and other performance?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Are there any devices that can be mounted in an R/C plane to show speed, g's, and other performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 09:07 AM
danoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any devices that can be mounted in an R/C plane to show speed, g's, and other performance?

Let me try to clear up the question a little... hehehe

In the market place, is there any device that will calculate the speed of the aircraft. Kinda like the little wind meters that they use on the Weather Channel.

So many times, I've had extremely fast planes, and never could get anyone to speed check them with police radar or something similar. We have taken our cars and driven by them to calculate the speed, but it's really hard to do, and potentially dangerous.

I'm interested because, these days, the electronics has gotten so small, and efficient on power supplis to power the units.

In another thread, a question was asked about installing a stall warning tab on the wing to let the pilot know when the plane was right above stall. This information would be very important to those that have spent hundreds of hours building their planes. I know that there are serious calibrations that would need to be taken into thought, but if it could be designed as a removable "card" or something. In the design would be a g-meter and an accelerometer. If you "set" the device to start recording these paremeters by a little button somewhere just before launch, it could record these paremeters, and after the flight... remove the card (or plug it into) any USB port and get a graph of the performance of the R/C plane. It would give you speed, g-factors in any direction.

For instance, if your plane likes to yaw, or tip stall, you'd have valuable information to possibly rectify the problem, plus you'd be able to have bragging rights to your aircraft's speed...

Alot of this I personally can design, But I'd need help in a few of the areas. I've done electronics for over 15 years, and I'm pretty educated in digital circuitry, although... I don't know how to implement a few things to make this work in the real world.

Is this idea worth any effort in designing...? Even if we just started with a way to calculate true speed, that is recordable in some type of standard platform. Would it be worth it to 'yall a couple of days/weeks designing the prototype, and see if it can be made to work...?

Danoman...
Old 03-20-2005, 09:59 AM
carrellh

Default RE: Are there any devices that can be mounted in an R/C plane to show speed, g's, and other performance?

One of the ads I see on the top of RCU pages fairly regulary is called something like a 'dashboard' that transmits info from your plane to a receiver on the ground. I do not know what info it sends, or what company sells it.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:41 AM
smitymax

Default RE: Are there any devices that can be mounted in an R/C plane to show speed, g's, and other performance?

Try: http://www.rcatsystems.com/rc
Old 03-21-2005, 09:45 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Eagle Tree Systems has a nice unit:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=253
Old 03-21-2005, 03:55 PM
billpa

MinnFlyer, thanks for the link to our review.

There is also a review of our newer product, Seagull, on rcu. Here's the link to that.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=452

If I can answer any questions about the products, don't hesitate to ask!