Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Eye's with spots or scratches?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Eye's with spots or scratches?

Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 AM
cliffclof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eye's with spots or scratches?

Sorry for the odd question. I have very good (20/10 - 20/15) vision, but I have started to see spots and scratches when looking up into the sky. I posted this here because I noticed this after blowing into a fiberglass cowl after sanding and getting some in my eyes.

Have any of you kit builders had problems with eyes or vision.

I am going to the doctor.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:04 AM
amdhotprocessor
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Eye's with spots or scratches?

I guess this is a good reason to start wearing eye protection. Hope your eyes are ok man! mike

keep us posted
Old 03-21-2005, 02:42 AM
h8w8n

They are probably what optomitrists call floaters. They are little bits of tissue that float around inside your eyeballs. I understand they are very common and I have them too. I especially notice them when looking at something light white. Go have your eyes checked.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:38 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have glaucoma, so I get to see my optometrist a lot more often than most people (he had to do regular checks of the pressure in my eyeballs), so I get to ask him a lot of questions about stuff like this. It is common to see spots and scratches, but that's for people 35+ years old. Yes, some of it is what was said above called floaters. Floaters will eventually settle to the bottom of your eyes and be out of your field of vision. It's also common to see small scratches. If you are younger than 35 then you may have problems. If you are a builder you need to invest in a good pair of safety glasses and use them whenever there is the possibility of getting something in your eyes.

For what it's worth, my eye doc says that pilots (both full scale and us model pilots) notice these problems more. That's because we are always looking at a light color (blue sky in this case) background where it is easier to notice them.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:43 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have the "floaters" and for a couple of months it bugged the h*ll out of me. The Dr. says I am at that age where the liquid center in the eyeball starts to pull away from the retina. In fact, mine pulled away so fast that I got a small tear in the retina and had to have it fixed by freezing. Gave me the worst ice cream headache I will ever have when the doc froze it. Another symptom was that I did see flashes of light on the left and right side when I move my eyes around. I would recommend at least having your eyes checked for any damage, sight is a sense that I would really not want to do without.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:51 AM
cliffclof

Thank you soooo much for the replies. I wasn't really expecting such detailed replies. I will have to go see a doc and find out what he has to say. My **Family Member** has very good vision as well and he is having trouble with his eyes too. He is one step below a detached retina from his words. He has a slice or line that flows across his vision in the center. I will bring this up to my doc. Again thanks for the replies and information!

C