Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

I need some help! 1/4 scale cub

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

I need some help! 1/4 scale cub

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 01:05 AM
lalaland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help! 1/4 scale cub

I have a Sig 1/4 scale piper cub kit. Could someone please tell me a good 2-stroke engine to stick on it? And also, what type of linkage should I use for the controls? Or should I sell the kit and take up golf? Please reply; I need to know. Thanks

Oh, one other thing. Should I build it in the clipped wing version or the full?
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 AM
beepee

Default RE: I need some help! 1/4 scale cub

Bigdan,

Personally, I would go with a G-23, or G-26. Better all around fit (except in the cowl :-)) for the Cub and any extra spent on the engine will be recovered in fuel cost quickly. Less starting hardware too.

Full wing will deliver friendly lazy flying. It is relaxing, fun. Build the clip wing and you can make a nice aerobatic "trainer" out of it ... nicely nimble without looking like an ExtCapEdge 54232. Better yet, build one arrangement and buy some balsa (OK, a lot of balsa) and scratch build the other arrangement. Have two airplanes in one.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 03-24-2005, 09:07 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree, If you're going to go 2-stroke, a small gasser would be best. I have an OS 160 Twin 4-stroke in one and it's a very nice combo.

And clip the wing! The fullwing is too big to get out of it's own way IMHO. The clipped wing will NOT make the plane "Hairy". It will still float like a trainer, but it will be able to move through some basic aerobatics.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
kdheath

I suppose a Super Tigre 2300 will work nicely if you want a 2-stroke. The 2300 with muffler weighs 38 ounces and is rated at 3.7 hp. But the fuel bills would tempt me to go to a Zenoah or other gasser, too.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Harry5
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Bigdan,

I live in Colorado and we fly at 5900 ft. alt. My 1/4 scale cub has an OS .90 FSR in it and I have over 350 flights on it. This is way to much power even at this altitude. I agree a gasser would be more economical but I fly mine with a 14 oz. fuel tank and at 1/4 throttle it will fly easily 40 minutes.

Harry
Old 03-24-2005, 07:38 PM
redfox435cat

I know econimics is alway a factor but when your going 1/4 scale to me seems weird to not get a 4 stroke espesaily with a "lazy flyin" cub. I love my cub, its great to slow down after doing 140+ with a racer. GEt a saito 100, even a 91 would be more than enough
Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you insist on a 2 stroke glow engine, any 90 size will do the job just fine.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:36 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I would put a Super Tigre .90 on it. With a 14x6 Prop it will have plenty of power and with a Pitts style muffler will be on the quiet side. I don't see the logic of a gasser for this plane. If money is not a problem for you then get a gasser. For me money is a concern. The glow engine fuel is more exspensive, but the engine is several hundred dollars cheaper.

David
Old 03-26-2005, 02:21 PM
jadec241
My Feedback: (29)

Am flying a sig 1/4 scale with a clipped wing using a 25cc homelite engine. The engine can be bought from cummins tool for $49.00. Then if you go to Carrprecision.com you can get all the parts to convert. Prop hub & bolt,muffler & mounting plate. The total cost will be around $100. alot cheaper than a Quadra or Zenoah. I am currently using a 25, 30 33 & a 35 homie in my gassers. Like beepee says, a clipped wing is good for stunts & a full wing for Sun. flying. Any questions, email me. Right know I will be selling the complete cub package since I have to cut back on the hangar.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:01 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

I hope this isn't your first plane. This is NOT a trainer and it will snap roll if you get it too slow. If you are not proficient at flying and on take off or landing and get heavy on the rudder,, you might land where you didn't expect t land.

I fly the Sig 1/4 scale in the clipped wing version with a Saito 1.8. Yes I have pleanty of power. It flies scale speeds very nicely and take off 's are also scale, but when I want to power up for a spin,, flat or inverted it will do it. I don't use the full throttle except when I want to do a Non scale maneuver. I would recommend that you add a reinforcing plate at the leading edge of the wing on the fuselage window. This part of the "cage" has broken at the joints on mine. (yes,, I know the "non Scale" maneuvers") are what did it. I added a metal angle bracket on both sides of the former because the plane has been flying for about 4 years now. Had I known I would have built in it.

Now if you don't want max,, power, you could use a saito 1.2 for very realistic scale flying.

Best of luck. and consider the Saito 1.2 Jim
Old 03-27-2005, 09:52 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I am building a Sig 1/4 C/W Cub and I will be powering it with a Magnum 1.20, they are very reasonable on the wallet. I am picking mine up at a local hobby shop for $240. You can get a Magnum .91 for around $150. A buddy of mine flew a Midwest Decathalon on a Magnum .80 and it flew the plane just fine, it was a very rewlaible engine until he dumb thumbed it into the ground[X(]
Later!!
Anthony