Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Any site better than Tower Hobbies out there?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Any site better than Tower Hobbies out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
frager14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any site better than Tower Hobbies out there?

Is there any other good website better than tower hobbies to buy supplies? I was wondering about lower shipping costs too. If I need even a little part it will cost as much or more than the part costs to get it shipped.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any site better than Tower Hobbies out there?

There are a "few" other sites.

Check this link for additional sites - this should provide a "few minutes" of enjoyment : http://dmoz.org/Shopping/Recreation/...rol/Airplanes/

Of course there are also the "usual" standbys

Hobby Lobby http://www.hobby-lobby.com/
Horizon Hobby/Hobby People http://www.horizonhobby.com/Default.aspx
Old 03-24-2005, 05:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

frager14,
Yeah, Tower Hobbies can be great and frustrating at the same time. Unfortunately they are part of a corporation called Hobbico, which in my mind is a lot like the Microsoft of the hobby world. They control a large portion of the hobby world. In the corporation they have (but no limited to) Tower Hobbies, OS Engines, Great Planes Models, etc... As for Tower, there are ways to deal with them. First, depending on what you are buying as far as "parts" look at the items on tower's website and see if they are "parts express" eligible. Parts express items aren't charged shipping fees. Second, get together with other hobbists and make an order. A lot of times we will get 5 or 6 people together and make an order together and split the shipping costs. Doing this usually ups the price to where we get a coupon discount, we let the guy making the order take that discount as a bonus for making the order for all of us.

As for substitutes, check out [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com]Horizon Hobby[/link]
Old 03-24-2005, 05:20 PM
kpunisher_2000
My Feedback: (6)

www.quantummodels.com

They have a good selection of things and on some items they are cheaper than tower. Orders over $150 get free shipping. There website is a little more difficult to navigate though.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:03 PM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

As for Parts Express at Tower:

"Orders that include exclusively Parts ExpressTM eligible items are charged only $3.99 shipping and handling — a savings of $4.00 off our normal charge"

There ain't no free lunch at Tower!

Quantum Models has been great in my dealings with them. Free shipping over $150 without paying $30 a year for "Super Saver"
Old 03-26-2005, 12:02 PM
carrellh

www.omnimodels.com

Save $15 Off Your Order!
Place your order now and save $15 off your order of $150 or more. With the FREE shipping we offer every day (on $100 minimum orders) your total savings comes to $20. Simply use coupon number 44W03 when placing your order (enter it in the white coupon number field located at the bottom of the shopping cart page). This special offer is not retroactive. Only one coupon number per order please.

Omni site wording and product listings are virtually identical to Tower. They sell Tower brand products. They rarely run 'specials' or ad numbers like the one above, but standard shipping is $5 versus $7.99 and you get free shipping at $100 versus $150; without joining a club.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:56 AM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

I like tower becouse of the Bill Me Later option. I wished the other hobby shops would adopt it.