Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Smoker fuel line melting at exhaust port.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Smoker fuel line melting at exhaust port.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:08 AM
tekati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoker fuel line melting at exhaust port.

I have the Perry pump smoker system and used regular gas type fuel line I can get from the local HS (blue line). The problem is the line is melting at the exhaust. What is the correct type of line to use that can withstand the heat from the exhaust for the smoker fluid?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:13 AM
jimcork1
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Smoker fuel line melting at exhaust port.

I had to use brass silver soldered to my Quadra muffler,, I also had 1/4" washers about 1/4" apart to act as a radiator prior to the fluid line attachement. The brass tube was about 2" long with the washers. This works on mine.. Otherwise,, burning the line off at the attachment point was a daily issue. Jim
Old 03-29-2005, 09:17 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Try the black fuel line it can take higher temps. Dennis
Old 03-29-2005, 12:22 PM
tekati

So the neoprene black line wont melt off at the exhaust? I see like the dubro cheapy smoker system uses the black neoprene line is that the same type of line that can take the heat from the exhaust? I would have thought I could have found countless threads on this issue but have not found any. I want a good solution to not have to change the hose out every other day. The copper tubing with silver solder is a solution although I find it hard to believe that is what everyone is doing to solve this issue.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:21 PM
abacro

simplest solution to ur problem is this,use plain old glow fuel line on the muffler fitting! It heat resistant,and u probly have some lying around.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:25 PM
tekati

Interesting idea. Then the question becomes how long will that last before it starts being eaten away by the smoke fluid? Is that something that would need to be changed before each flying season, monthly, flying day or flight? Will it clog anything as the line deteriorates?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:54 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I use the black neoprene line on my Brison 6.4 twin mufflers and find that it will go two plus months before it gets too hard from the heat. On my Extra it takes about 15 minutes to change out the two 1" long pieces to make everything good to go again.
ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

Try the black fuel line it can take higher temps. Dennis
Old 03-30-2005, 02:44 PM
p39
My Feedback: (5)

I use the plain old glo fuel line for the last couple inches before the muffler. Some planes have had them on for two years. I just use a short brass tube between the smoke line and the last piece of silicone line. That way, it's real easy to replace.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:22 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Glow line will soften and in some cases turn to mush with smoke oil. Under pressure from the smoke pump it will swell and burst. The best fix is the copper tube, about 1" is all you need. The next best is to use the Dubro black line. Tell us what kind of smoke muff and nipple you are using. Dennis
Old 04-01-2005, 11:38 AM
abacro

it wonet eat away,smoke fluid is basicaly nothing but oil,so it dont evvect the glow fuel tubing. I've used it on my G-62 in my taylor craft fro 12 years now and never replaced that little piece of tubing,even though i have replaced ever piece of fuel line from the tank to the carb 3 times!