Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Towerkote

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:26 PM
RC Stout
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towerkote

I'm getting ready to cover my Sig Kadet Senior kit with Yellow Monokote, I'm going to trim it black and red. The black is Monokote but the red is Towerkote. Will the red Towerkote stick to the yellow Monokote?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Towerkote

RC Stout,
It's hard to find anything that towerkote will stick to! In all honesty, if you are going to use towerkote for trim then you will be fine. I wouldn't recommend using it as your main color covering though. But as a trim you can turn the temperature of your iron down and the towerkote will stay just fine. Or better yet you can use the windex method to apply your trim.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:43 PM
RC Stout

thanks, I was thinking of using the windex method. Should I also use trim solvent or is it best just to seal down the edges with a trim iron?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

I don't waste my money on trim solvent, I just use a trim iron to seal down the edges. I did my Sig Something Extra with the windex method, and sealed the edges with a trim iron.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77962.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	255857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93382.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	255858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72391.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	255859  
Old 04-08-2005, 10:09 PM
RC Stout

Thanks again, I think I'll be covering it either this weekend or next
Old 04-14-2005, 04:57 AM
lownslo

I used red Towerkote trim and the Windex method over Ultracote. I sealed the edges with a trim iron the next day and then sealed the seams and edges with clear Lustrekote. (I spray some clear in the cap and use a small artist brush to paint along the edges). In fact I use that method on all my seams and decals that will get a lot of oily exhaust residue. That plane is now 3 years old and has another owner. It still looks good. I will echo the other post........ I would not use Towerkote for the main covering. It will work great for trim. ..... lownslo.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:15 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Towerkote will lift at the edges if exposed to fuel or engine exhaust. You must seal it with a fuelproof liquid. Personally, I think it is junk and would use Monokote only.

Paul
Old 04-14-2005, 06:25 PM
lownslo

Paul, I seal ALL my seams no matter what covering I use. BTW... that Towerkote trim, with a clear seal on the edges is still good after 3 years, q just as the day it was applied. I seal seams and edges before the engine is even started. We all have our favorite coverings for various reasons. I used Solartex color fabric for the first time this winter. What a fantastic covering. (it does have to be sealed with clear coat). See attached photo for my first fabric covering job. Between Solartex, Ultracote and Monokote.... I put Monokote dead last. Trim pieces leave un-sightly gas bubbles, unless you use the Windex method for trim. It also takes more heat and is harder to stretch around curves. There are some BEAUTIFUL Monokote covering jobs out there...... I just think for the new person, it is harder to use. Just my opinion of course. ... lownslo..

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17563.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	258268  
Old 04-15-2005, 11:02 AM
center of the universe

what is the "Windex method" ?
Old 04-15-2005, 11:20 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

The "Windex method" is a way of laying down covering on top of covering without using heat. When you place covering on top of covering and use heat to apply it the top piece will usually bubble up and look really bad. By using windex to apply it you won't get bubbles.

Another RCU member named Termigator as written one of the best how-to's on using windex that it would be silly of my to try and write it here again. You can find his thread at:

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_603331/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm[/link]

Read over this thread and it should answer most of your questions.

Hope this helps