Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Good Hobby Shops in Manhattan, NY

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Good Hobby Shops in Manhattan, NY

Old 04-18-2005, 06:02 AM
Zipperneck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Hobby Shops in Manhattan, NY

Hello everybody...

Listen, I'm going to be in Manhattan NY early next month and wanted to take advantage of my stay to stock up on some RC stuff... with the Euro being strong at the moment, I'd be a fool not to!

I won't have a whole lot of time to shop around so if anybody could give me the name of THE HOBBY SHOP to visit... please let me know here!

Thanks in advance...
Zip
(France - the land of expensive RC stuff)
Old 04-18-2005, 06:05 PM
rccrazedman
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Good Hobby Shops in Manhattan, NY

www.brucknerhobbies.com they have three stores from NY city.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:52 AM
FighterBird873

There was one I went to a couple of times, forget the name, but its near the 23rd St PATH station.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

23rd St would be America's Hobbies. They sell Megatrash and little toys. Bruckner's has a shop in Brooklyn, White Plains, and Nanuet, NY. There is nothing of any value in Manhatten.

Zip- What kind of stuff are you interested in?

-Ben
Old 04-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Zipperneck

Ben - (and everybody else who answered my call),

At the moment, I have just about everything I need (or should I say.. by budget is just about at its limit). Nobody ever has everything they need...

I would like to get my hands on some thin Futaba servos - say the S3101 - and possibly a 72-size 4-stroke engine. Some of the guys at the club will probably have orders for stuff. Nothing big as I'll have to lug it all back to France with me.

More importantly, during my trip to NY (Manhattan) next month, I'll only have one day that I can go shopping for stuff and don't want to go to a rinky-dink toy store with Megatrash, as you call it.... I got that here!!

Zip
Old 04-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Ben Diss
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest that you get out of the city. Two places worth visiting. The first is about an hour's drive from the city and thats Hobby Hut in Pompton Plains, NJ. Linda carries JR and is well stocked in all the little bits that you might want. For Futaba, go to Bruckner's in the Bronx. You can get to Bruckners by subway if you want.

Hobby Hut
567 State RT 23
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
(973) 835-2077

Bruckner Hobby
3587 E Tremont Ave
Bronx, NY 10465
(718) 863-3434

Oh, and while you're in the city be sure and stop by Macys. We're the largest department store in the world (yep, bigger than Harrods). This store has over 1 mil sq feet of selling space. I work on the 19th floor. Enjoy your trip.

-Ben
Old 04-20-2005, 03:33 PM
daven

If you have time, check out the Intrepid aircraft carier. Many planes on deck, as well as a Concord next door. Worth the trip, I just got back from there last week.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:12 PM
FighterBird873

I think he'll probably wind up checking out the statue of liberty, and make sure we're still taking good care of her.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Zipperneck

A friend of mine that spent some time in NY mentioned that it might be worth going over to NJ - say Hoboken - to find an engine or something, seeing that there is no sales tax in NJ. Is that true?

ANy ideas? Places to go?

Zip
Old 04-26-2005, 12:49 PM
FighterBird873

Hoboken is propbably the MOST expensive place on earth. The only good thing in Hoboken would be the Pizza.

How long you gonna be in the states? Place an order on Tower, and have it delivered locally.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:42 PM
Zipperneck

Yes, I've ordered from Tower many times before and had it shipped to my father before comingto the states to visit... Good idea about the hotel - I'll have to check into that!

tnx

Zip
Old 05-12-2005, 08:27 AM
Zipperneck

Checking back in on this thread after my return from NY.

As I had thought, I didn't have a whole lot of time to do much hobby shopping during my trip to Manhattan.

I did check out America's Hobby Store on 30th Street as it was within walking distance from my hotel.

Pretty much a disappointment as far as airplane stuff is concerned. No kits to speak of. They had some OS engines but I wasn't shopping for engines at the moment. A lot of car stuff.

I spoke with the owner - a gruff dude, kind of a cross between Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles.

He told me that NYers don't buy many kits and the general trend is toward electrics. That may be - I don't know where NYers have the time even to do anything besides commute and work! Central Park would be a great place to do some park flying, I suppose, but much like everything there, it is probably prohibited. Rodney mentioned a few places in NJ and Long Island where you can fly but sheeessh - that's a long way to go! I dunno, I gotta 30 min. drive to my field, I suppose that's nothing to NYers.

I did get over to the Intrepid. I was amazed at the small size of the Concord. I thought it was bigger than it actually is.

Thanks again for all the answers prior to my trip.

Zipperneck