Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Retract clip

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:17 PM
SaviCatses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retract clip

I've been having a problem with some hobbico retracts I've purchased recently, and I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem.

Basically, I'm scratch building an OV-10 Bronco and decided to put in some retracts. The Hobbico retracts were selected due to cost considerations. I'm currently building the main fuselage, and I've put in the retracts. Problem is, the wire gear simply popped right off.

Further investigation has shown that the only thing retaining the wire in place in the nose gear housing is a small e-clip. This clip is extremely loose, and just falls off. I tried replacing the clip, believing that the clip might be just bad, but the new clips also just fall out with a vigorous shaking of the nose gear, or just by activating the nose gear on and off a few times.

Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:11 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Retract clip

Order a new clip. Those hobbico's are really flimsy, I don't even trust them in airplanes that they are designed for. There are much better solutions from Spring Air.

In my opinion, the only guys that use Hobbico retracts are the guys that just like to Tinker with stuff. I like to put in heavy duty higher end stuff, once and then fly the crap out of an airplane and not worry about something bending or breaking.

The last set of retracts I bought were $700.00 from Robart with struts.

Good Luck,

Sean
Old 04-20-2005, 05:11 PM
SaviCatses

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Retract clip

Well, I fixed the problem by purchasing new E-clips, which also didn't fit (fell out when activating the retract), but unlike the original clip, I was able to bend the new clip until it fit extremely snug on the wire. When I had bent the original E-clip, it had simply snapped in half instead of bending.

As for Spring-Airs, I really would love to, but when you don't have the equipment for it, it becomes REALLY expensive. Maybe for another plane. And I can't imagine a time when 80-90% of the plane's cost goes into the landing gear