Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

GWS servos (too much play)

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

GWS servos (too much play)

Old 04-20-2005, 08:08 PM
acam37
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS servos (too much play)

I just bought (5) GWS S03T high torque servos for an ultimate bipe. Did the maiden today and almost lost it due to extreme flutter. After checking all the pushrods and pull-pull rudder cables I discovered that all the servos have consideral slop at the servo arm even when energized. My standard servos have none. has anyone had this problem with GWS or any servo for that matter, and do you think GWS will make them good if I send them back. The way they are they are useless to me.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GWS servos (too much play)

I have used (and still use ) the 503 series of servos and have had absolutely no problems with them.

Have you checked the gears to see if any are chipped/missing teeth ? The other thing is that since the gears are cast/molded, it is possible that one (or more) of the gears are slightly undersized, which would cause the slop. The undersize sounds like it might be the culprit in your case.

As far as customer service, where did you purchase the servos ? You should first contact the company you purchased them from.

FWIW - I had purchased 9 servos from Balsa Products http://www.balsapr.com/
The arms had been cast wrong and would not fit the output spline on the servo. I emailed them and they sent out 9 sets of servo arms, screws, etc. I had them in a couple of days.
Balsa Products also carrys GWS servos.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Walter D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It just happened I've just received a batch of servos from them (SO3T's included) and they seem normal to me, if you are getting flutter is because you almost certainly have deficient pushrods setups, I don't know how long the servo arms you are using really are, the longer they are the more play they seem to have, check your installation with the radio on, try to deflect the surfaces by hand gently, the feel should be one with from zero to very slight play in the neutral position but stiff after that, if the surface feels spongy it means you have a poorly setup on the pushrods or pull wires, on an airplane like the Ultimate which is probably over powered and submited to high G manuevers, the slight give on a pushrod can have devastating effects, flutter is your worse enemy, be careful!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:11 PM
acam37

All my pushrods are 4-40 and I used du-bro heavy duty clevis's. there is no play at all at the control horn and clevis. The aileron servo pushrod is only 2 inches long. when I removed the pushrod from the servo arm you can move the arm back and forth 1/8 inch both ways. That is not right. I did contact GWS and I am sending them back for their inspection. My guess is that I got a bad batch of plastic gears.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Walter D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, that's way too much play, let them take a look at them, hope they send you good ones this time.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:09 PM
acam37

Just to let everyone know, this post is not intended to bash on GWS. I own several of their electric planes and use GWS micro servos in all of them. They have never given me a bit of trouble.All of these big servos I bought were at the same time and I may have just got some with bad gears. Because they are new I am not going to take them apart to see and risk voiding the warranty. I'm sure if there is a problem GWS will make it right. I did go back and check the other servos I have on other planes and they are all solid as a rock with no play at all. Out of the 5 I bought there are really only 2 that have excess play. one on the rudder and one on the aileron,but just to be safe I will send them all in for inspection.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:29 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

acam37

I have used quite a number of the SO3T servos with no problems.

What receiver are you using? Why I ask is this: last night I was driven nuts by some GWS SO6T servos driven off a NIB Fut 149DP RX. They were soft around center, as you describe. When I tried to gang 2 together using a Smart-Fly Equalizer, they hunted around and had almost no holding power. Driven direct off the RX this problem persisted, but less so. I then substituted them with 2 Fut S9151 digis. The problem appeared to go away. This bothered me as I have never seen this kind of problem before. I then substituted the RX with a Fut 129DP RX. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. I then put back the GWS SO6T's with perfect results. Great holding power and normal dead-band.

I do recall reading somewhere on RCU that there are some kind of incompatibilities with the R149DP RX and certain servos. I guess that these incompatibilities will also affect items such as the Equalizer. It was something about the signal. I have another NIB 149DP that I will use to test as well.

Don't give up on the servos, something else might be wrong.

Safe Flying!