Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What would be a good second plane but still has some aerobatics into it.

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What would be a good second plane but still has some aerobatics into it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 01:17 PM
RacinJason19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be a good second plane but still has some aerobatics into it.

I am so confused right now trying to find a good second airplane to get. I was looking at a Futana and I was looking at the Spacewalker II .40, chipmunk, super sportster 40 ARF, t-34 mentor 40, zero fighter. I want something good but yet i want it to be able to do some aerobatics, and good controling..
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Fletch124
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: What would be a good second plane but still has some aerobatics into it.

What skill level are you at. If you coming from a trainer then definetly go with a low wing trike gear, T-34 would be your best choice or you could get a Tiger2
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What would be a good second plane but still has some aerobatics into it.

If you are coming off your high wing trainer, the most often suggested planes are the SIG 4 Star and/or a Tiger II. Another plane you may want to look at is the World Models Rambler 30 or 45.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:07 PM
waagbuck

The Super Sportster is a fantastic airplane, though it flies fast so you'll want to have help on the maiden flight. You may also want to look at the World Models Super Stunts 40, which is a stick-type aircraft. This comes with tricycle gear and is a very stable flyer that will allow you to do some aerobatics. I fly mine with a 46fx and a 12x4 prop. But for the pictogram-style instructions (lots of pictures with arrows and no text), it could be used as a trainer.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:44 AM
RacinJason19

WELL HOW ABOUT A SPACEWALKER 2 40 SIZE. MADE BY SEAGULL I HAVE HEARD ALOT ABOUT IT AND THEY SAY IT WOULD BE A GOOD SECOND PLANE TOO.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:56 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also think the Sportster 40 is a good plane. I like the 60 a lot better, but the 40 flys great too. Get someone to help you the first few flights with any of them, and you will like which ever you pick.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:11 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Rascal 40 is a great 2nd plane. It flies as easy as a trainer, has a semisymmetrical wing and has great basic aerobatic ability, lightweight so it doesn't need a lot of power, and looks cool. It's a tail dragger, but I found it easy to learn with it. The engine bay is set up for an inverted engine, and the manual show both 2 stroke and 4-stroke installations. It comes in white with red transparent trim, or white with blue transparent trim. I re-covered mine and painted it after a "mishap". Mine is powered with a Saito .56, which is plenty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28656.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	264761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18705.jpg
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	264762  
Old 04-29-2005, 10:35 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

Tiger II or Tiger 60, or any of the stick series make great second planes. GP Big Stick is lots of fun!
Old 04-30-2005, 08:48 AM
britbrat

I don't have a clue as to your ability, but a cheap & effective option is a Hobbico Avistar with a good .46 in it, & a tail-dragger conversion. Don't be put off with its trainer appearance -- it is as tough as a rock & it can do damned near any thing except 3D aerobatics. It should also live a good long life because the transition from a basic trainer is easy.

Khodges Rascal suggestion is also good, as is the Tiger 2, & 4 Star 40.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:21 PM
thundervee

My second plane was the aresti 40 from hangar 9, It's a really fun plane and I found it a pretty easy transition from my trainer even though it's a tail dragger. Good luck on your choices!! and have fun
Old 04-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Ed_Moorman

Try a World Models Sky Raider Mach II. It is a good flying plane and is inexpensive-retail is $69. Here is a buddy's stock single and my custom twin.

Name:	Xv65542.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	265104  
Old 05-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Phi3l

Midwest Aerobat, flies great, pretty aerobatic. I love mine!

Phil in MN

Name:	Bz77615.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	265251  
Old 05-01-2005, 01:38 AM
Bob101

I don't know your abilities either, but from the looks of it...several of the suggestions above are still trainers. That's fine for people who will take smaller steps - but only you can answer the question of what your really ready for.

Not everyone is ready for an aerobatic ship the second plane, but by the same token not everyone needs to take small steps either.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:59 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Depending on the radio you have you can get whatever plane you want. If you have a computer radio that has exponential, etc., the door is wide open. All you have to do is to start with smaller control surface deflections and dial in some expo. As time goes on you can add to deflections and reduce expo. Still, a lot depends on how careful of a flier you are. If you are still struggling to get a good landing every time or are clumsy in the air with wrong control inputs time to time you might want to consider staying with a trainer for a bit longer. FWIW, a trainer can do quite a bit of aerobatics if made to...it will not be as snappy as an aerobatic plane though. Dial up the deflections on it and have a little fun with it.

Also, you didn't mention if you wanted an ARF or a kit either...lot's of possibilities either way though.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:37 AM
RNGDGT88

I BOUGHT A HANGAR 9 TWIST FOR MY SECOND BIRD. I AM STILL LEARNING, BUT AS STATED ABOVE, JUST DIAL IT DOWN, KEEP THINGS PRETTY MILD AND YOU CAN FLY IT! I GET MINE ABOUT 3 MISTAKES HIGH, THE TURN THE DUAL RATES ON AND HAVE A BALL!! LANDING A PLANE WITH A SEMI OF FULL SYMMETRICAL WING HAS PROVEN TO BE ALOT EASIER FOR ME AS WELL. THE TWIST MAY NOT HAVE BEEN THE IDEAL CHOICE , BUT I'M HAVING A BLAST. IT FLIES PRETTY EASY WHEN KEPT ON LOW RATES, WITH LITTLE DEFLECTION.
Old 01-01-2006, 02:49 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I'd go with the Big Stick.
Old 01-01-2006, 03:11 PM
kelldog

Sig Midstar Better then the 4 star for landing,building, stunts, Kelldog
Old 01-01-2006, 07:15 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

The twist is actually a good choice as well because it will slow down so well and as stated, keep the throws down and it flies very easily, but turn up the rates and WATCH OUT!!
Old 01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
KINGX

Kyosho Calmato Sports 40 with an OS max 46 engine. Best flying second plane in my opinion and only 2-3 hours build time+very beautiful looks.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:21 PM
killer501872000
My Feedback: (77)

i would go with a great planes venus it tracks very well slows to a crawl and will do anything you can throw at it
Old 01-02-2006, 01:40 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My second plane was a Sig Four-Star .40. Any of the 4* series would be a good choice.

Bob
Old 01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Lt Mac
My Feedback: (178)

Hello RacinJason,
If i were you i would get the plane you want to have because you think it looks cool or for whatever reason. You will learn to fly it just like your trainer. It will be another plane it flies you give it up it goes up give it down she comes down sure it will be faster and more responsive but you know if you are ready for it. I would get crazy with your trainer for a bit and have fun with it and when you can nail alll take offs and landings then get your instructor to test fly your new plane with you after a few flights you will be fine and dont let people scare you from a tail dragger it is easier to taxi take off and land than a tri gear anyday You will love the spacewalker or the sportster and another thing look here on RCU for used planes another great second plane is the big stick or ugly stick and you can find one used cheap probably also ask around at your club to see if someone has something used some of my best planes I bought already built
Good luck in your choice and have fun
LTM
Old 01-03-2006, 01:14 AM
expo
My Feedback: (20)

Some guys will fly a trainer for several years; it didn't fly inverted very well and I got bored with mine just going around in circles and doing loops so I sold it.

I knew I liked the sport and would stick with it for a while so I went whole hog with my second plane. I bought a used Seagull Harrier and a 7C Futaba computer radio where I could dial in triple rates. The Harrier is a fat mid wing that flys slower than my trainer when I want it to and I keep it on low rates for now. In the near future and the flip of a switch I can be doing aerobatics then 3-D all with the same plane. It's one of the coolest looking planes with the long tail and 2 tone see through covering. It's a tail dragger but takes off in 10 feet so you don't have to worry about it wiggling down the field.
[img][/img]

Name:	Lj22236.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	380126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48027.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	380127