Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

"Dopey" question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

"Dopey" question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 01:44 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default "Dopey" question

Nitrate and butyrate dope---what's the big difference? I know you can put butyrate over nitrate, but not the other way around. It seems like I remember that Nitrate is better as a foundation, for sealing wood and filling fabric weave, but is it okay to use butyrate as a sealer / filler? I am rebuilding a wing, covering it in Koverall, and have a quart of butyrate, but no nitrate dope. Also, can you thin butyrate with standard dope thinner (using Sig dope and thinner). I will be painting with spray acrylic over the dope. Trying to get this done so I can test fly it and take it to Joe Nall.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:39 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: "Dopey" question

I used to use only butyrate for putting on silk etc. with no problems. If I remember right, cover the framework with a coat and let it dry. Then put on the covering, and dope through it. First coat will soak well into the wood and bond the second coat better. Not sure about the thinner thing. I'd try a 1/2 oz to mix. Will turn into jelly balls if it won.t Don't think it will mix, come to think of it. Been a long time
Old 04-30-2005, 09:27 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Dopey" question

Nitrate will stick to just about anything, and you can put just about anything over it (paint that is). Butyrate will not stick as well, and the only thing that you can put over butyrate is butyrate. It continues to shrink forever, and will shatter any paint you put over it.

Les