Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

heat gun - which one?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

heat gun - which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:16 AM
decombs21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat gun - which one?

Okay, I've read Tom's Covering Techniques with Harry Higley and am convinced a heat gun is now a necessary tool to have when covering my new plane. With all the choices at Tower, seemingly the same gun from 3 different manufacturers, the question now is which one?

There's the Tower model for $12.99, the Hobbico version for $13.99 and lastly the Top Flite heat gun for $19.99. All have a one year warranty and claim to do the same thing.

However I'll just bet not all heat guns are created equal. Is this a matter of "you get what you pay for?" or can a guy cut corners and still get a gun that performs as well and as long as the others for less moolah?

What does the collective have to say to this?

Thanks in advance (TIA),

Dave
Old 05-01-2005, 01:27 AM
Phi3l

Default RE: heat gun - which one?

I have had the hobbico for many years and it works great.

Near as I can tell, the Tower and Hobbico are the same heat gun with a different label. I have no idea why the price difference.
By the way, I just looked on Tower's web site and the Tower gun is $11.99

Hope this helps,
Phil in MN[8D]
Old 05-01-2005, 07:12 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

6 of one and half dozen of another. You can use any of the guns that you mentioned with no problems. I have the Hobbico gun and have been using it for 8 years now, at least 9 or 10 planes built with it. And yes, the Hobbico and Tower gun are the same. Hobbico is the parent company and owner of Tower Hobbies so you'll see a lot of Hobbico products sold with a Tower label on them for a few dollars less.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:27 AM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

After managing the LHS for five years, I can say a few Hobbico guns bit the big one, but they outsold Top Flite twenty to one. One customer went through two or three of them in short order, but he was making fishing rods commercially and using them twelve hours a day to quick-cure epoxy. He switched to a Top Flite and they held up MUCH better, even with the Hobbicos being warranteed. Of course, it all depends on how much use or abuse you give yours. Personally, I had one Hobbico fail on me in ten years, and it was still replaced at no charge. Jim