Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Right Thrust for 4*??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Right Thrust for 4*??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Thrust for 4*??

I just maidened my four star 60 the other day...everything went great other than one funky thing i noticed, when flying under substantial power the plane crabs left. Also during take off, the plane pulls hard left, even when the throttle is eased into, subsequently after some trimming in flight, the rudder now has some right deflection at rest (but not much). does this mean i need to add some right thrust???

thanks in advance!!
Old 05-03-2005, 12:56 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Right Thrust for 4*??

You could....

But right now with the rudder retrimmed to the right.... Does the plane fly to the right in a glide? If not, then it's not the engine thrust.

Mine does this on take-off. I just hold some right rudder until I get in the air. Then it seems OK.

A guy at the field put left thrust on his engine for a Sig Hog. It goes to the left under high power real bad. He's never changed it.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 05-03-2005, 07:58 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most airplanes will tend to pull a little to the left just after take off. Overpowering aggravates the tendency. Slow take off speeds aggravate the tendency. Most airplanes should not have left thrust and it should be checked first. Do the 4* instructions call for right thrust? It is also possible that the vertical fin is misaligned. Vertical fin misalignment will show up more at slower speeds and generally at the top of a loop.

I usually trim for mid throttle straight and level flight and then make a low speed and a full throttle pass to observe the difference.

Bill
Old 05-03-2005, 12:36 PM
J_R

This link leads to a trim chart. Although it is specifically for trimming for pattern, it works on all planes. A careful reading will guide you to the correct incidence for the engine. Trimming a plane involves much more than just pushing the trim adjustments on the Tx.

http://www.nsrca.org/trimA.htm#PDF
Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 PM
J_R

Another thought occured to me. You do have tow in bent into your landing gear, don't you?
Old 05-03-2005, 04:24 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Mine wouldn't crab.... but I noticed on uplines that it would pull slightly to the left...
worked on trim and it still did it....
take offs were fine.... but it would always fall to the left on uplines....

added a bit of right thrust ( washers under the left side of the engine mount) and it solved it for me....

work on trim first ... than adding a couple of washers is pretty easy
Old 05-03-2005, 10:00 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ernst sells thrust blocks for first clase thrust adjustments. Do a search on Tower for them.

Enjoy,

Jim