Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Dubro spinner backplate slipping

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Dubro spinner backplate slipping

Old 05-05-2005, 09:52 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dubro spinner backplate slipping

I don't know if I'm clueless or what, but I've bought a few Dubro spinners over the years and they always seem to be a pain to get on. For instance, I go to put on my spinner backplate, then the prop, then the washer and prop nut. I align the backplate with the prop so the spinner fits through the prop cut-outs. This is where the problem starts. When I go to tighten the prop nut the backplate moves just enough so the alignment of the backplate and spinner are off just a hair. At this point the spinner won't click on , so I loosen the nut and start over[:@] The only way I can get it right is if I jam an allen wrench through one of the backplate holes then against the prop and start tightening with the other hand. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. I thought those little plastic nubs on the backplate were supposed to prevent the backplate from spinning. Have I been doing something wrong all these years?
Old 05-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dubro spinner backplate slipping

Welcome to the club.
That's a common situation with the nylon backplate. It's just slippery.
I've found wood props work better with gripping the backplate, better than the APC or MA composites.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:41 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut a couple of pieces of sandpaper (any grit) about 1 inch square or so and glue them together paper side to paper side. Cut a hole in this big enough for your engine's crankshaft. Place this sandpaper piece between the spinner backplate and the prop. This helps hold them in place while you tighten the nut. Fought that battle many times...
Old 05-06-2005, 07:54 AM
Dsegal

> Cut a couple of pieces of sandpaper.... <

That is a very nice idea.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:13 AM
jzinckgra

thanks for the tip.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:22 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes just SCORING the back plate with a hobby knife works. The sand paper will work for sure. ENJOY!!!! Red
Old 05-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Phlip

Hi John,

The suggestions of sandpaper and scoring the plastic may help, but I think I've developed a technique that doesn't rely on those things.

First, assemble the parts as you said, "Put on my spinner backplate, then the prop, then the washer and prop nut." Leave the nut finger tight. Turn the motor crank CCW (running direction) until it just comes onto the compression stroke. Orient the prop so it's horizontal, turning CCW to stay on the compression of the engine. Facing the front of the plane, hold the left prop blade in the fingers of your left hand (curled under the blade), then turn the backplate CCW with your right hand until the pins come up to the back of the prop blades. Then hold it in place with downward pressure with your left thumb, and tighten the nut with a wrench in your right.

It works for me.

Good luck,

Phil
Old 05-07-2005, 05:11 PM
jzinckgra

Thanks Phil, I'll try that. Actually the sandpaper trick didn't work that well, even with 150 grit.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:10 AM
x-craft
My Feedback: (3)

Gee, wow this sounds farmiliar, I fought this battle for about 20 minutes at the field yesterday trying to get the spinner on my chipmunk. I like the sandpaper idea. We were going to try it but didn't have any at the field. I have no magic solution, only sympathy.

Tim
Old 05-08-2005, 02:33 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Well... sandpaper might work ...I have always used 0,4mm plywood discs behind the back plate..but I use only Tru Turn alu spinners. Nylonspinners could be a little more slippery though.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90844.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	268741  
Old 05-10-2005, 07:25 PM
DanSavage
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra
I don't know if I'm clueless or what, but I've bought a few Dubro spinners over the years and they always seem to be a pain to get on. For instance, I go to put on my spinner backplate, then the prop, then the washer and prop nut. I align the backplate with the prop so the spinner fits through the prop cut-outs. This is where the problem starts. When I go to tighten the prop nut the backplate moves just enough so the alignment of the backplate and spinner are off just a hair. At this point the spinner won't click on , so I loosen the nut and start over[:@] The only way I can get it right is if I jam an allen wrench through one of the backplate holes then against the prop and start tightening with the other hand. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. I thought those little plastic nubs on the backplate were supposed to prevent the backplate from spinning. Have I been doing something wrong all these years?
I didn't see anyone suggest this, so I will.

The problem is that the threads of the propnut are binding with the threads on the crankshaft.

The solution to your problem is simple.

Lube the threads on the crankshaft.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
05121344 (12-07-2021)
Old 05-10-2005, 07:29 PM
x-craft

I'll have to try that and see what happens. I'm not going to take the spinner off just to try it though.

Tim
Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 PM
x-craft

Dan, my OS91fs backfired and loosened up the prop nut so had a chance to try your "oil the threads" idea. Guess what, it worked. Thanks for the tip, much easier than sandpaper or any other voodoo magic. It's so darn simple I feel stupid for not thinking of it. This is a prime example of over thinking and over complicating something.

Thanks

Tim
Old 12-07-2021, 08:13 AM

Thanks Dan it was great idea,you stopped my long pending nightmares.
Nasser
Old 12-10-2021, 11:41 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The best solution I've ever found for plastic spinners is to buy a roll of open mesh plumbers sandcloth. Open mesh drywall sanding sheets work too. It's rough on both sides and really tough. You cut a piece a little bigger than your prop hub with a hole for the crankshaft. Even with the prop nut just hand tight, you'll find that the sandcloth locks the prop into place really well. I've never had a backplate slip since I figured this out, even with a flooded engine.
To address the issue of the backplate slipping, I hand tighten the prop nut and recheck the backplate position. You'll still be able to move it if you need to, then it won't move on its own when you finish tightening it.
Old 12-11-2021, 01:27 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

OMG> A 16 year old thread!
Old 12-19-2021, 02:16 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

where have we all been?
d