Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is Lacquer Fuelproof?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is Lacquer Fuelproof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Lacquer Fuelproof?

I can't seem to find my Harry Higley "There Are No Secrets" book around. I seem to remember it had lots of good advice about painting. I just did my first full fibreglass (ZPoxy finishing resin) and paint on a sport plane (GP US1000). I started out using Century 21 metallic silver and had horrible results. The stuff kept clogging the nozzle and coming out in spatters. I waited a few days for the paint to harden up nice, sanded and then sprayed with lacquer. Very nice stuff - quick drying too! Is it 100% fuelproof (glow/methanol) or do I need to give it a coat of clear polyurethane?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:07 AM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Is Lacquer Fuelproof?

some acrylic laquers are semi-fuelproof... okay with 5% nitro or FAI fuel.... regular "laquer" is definitely not fuel proof.... you can overcoat with PU, but it WILL yellow over time.... a clear epoxy-based would be much better...

[:-]
Old 05-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regular lacquer and enamel are no fuel proof.

ACRYLIC lacquer and ACRYLIC enamel are fuel proof - definitely to 15%.

Since you have already painted the plane, I suggest one of the following as a clear coat:

1. Lusterkote. Not my favorite as I find it "spits" a lot and I don't like the way it lays.

2. Ultracote. One of my favorite clear coats. I find it sprays well and except for the fumes, no negatives.

3. Oil base polyurethane. This is fuel proof, however, it will yellow after about 7 or 8 months. The yellowing is barely noticeable on dark colors, but quite noticeable on white and other light colors.

4. Water base polyurethane. This is fuel resistant. As long as you clean your planes at the end of the day you will be OK. If you let the crud sit on the plane overnite it will soften the poly. The BIG plus to this is that it DOES NOT YELLOW with age.

FWIW - Dupli-Color TRUCK & VAN paint is acrylic lacquer. It comes in 11oz+ size spray cans and is about $4.00 at Wal-Mart. The silver/aluminum is as close a match as you will find for SolarTex or Coverite silver/aluminum.

Just be careful with compatibility. You can put enamel over lacquer, but not the other way.

Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the repies guys. I am actually using Dupli-Color acrylic lacquer! I only burn 5% so it should be OK then. Very nice stuff this Dupli-Color - it goes on very nice and drys fast too. Gotta like it when you get fast answers from knowledgeable people. Ain't RCU great! Thanks again guys. Cheers