Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Solar activity-affect our radios?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Solar activity-affect our radios?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 10:26 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solar activity-affect our radios?

I did a search on solar flares here and found the last discussion was several years ago, which didn't seem to offer anything definitive. Several posts lately mention unexplained crashes, some attributed to solar activity. I've noticed lately some of the FM radio stations I normally listen to are barely audible, or lost altogether. Anyone hazard a guess on this subject as far as currrent equipment goes? As our planes get faster, costlier, and bigger seems there ought to be some scientific evidence as to whether or not solar activity suggests a 'no fly' day. Seems like if solar flares, etc. can block an FM radio station, it would certainly squash our tiny transmission signals.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:58 PM
kdheath

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Solar activity-affect our radios?

ORIGINAL: wsmalley
Several posts lately mention unexplained crashes, some attributed to solar activity. I've noticed lately some of the FM radio stations I normally listen to are barely audible, or lost altogether. Anyone hazard a guess on this subject as far as currrent equipment goes? As our planes get faster, costlier, and bigger seems there ought to be some scientific evidence as to whether or not solar activity suggests a 'no fly' day. Seems like if solar flares, etc. can block an FM radio station, it would certainly squash our tiny transmission signals.
A couple of thoughts off the top of my head: There are so many reasons for models to crash, that I find the solar flare explanation really creative. Seriously, at the line of sight, short ranges at which we work, it seems a rather remote possiblity. Quoting the ARRL General Class License Manual, "Solar activity seems to influence all radio communications beyond ground-wave or line-of-sight ranges." FWIW, here's a link to one of the solar activity monitors. Right now, solar activity is low to normal:
http://www.n3kl.org/sun/status.html
Solar activity should run extremely low on the list of concerns for RC modelers.
Kelvin
KC0UCK
Old 05-23-2005, 11:23 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Actually, in a word, YES. It wreaks havoc with our aircraft radios(full-size, HF and Satcom, GPS, etc). Although our RC radios are very well filtered and highly selective, it can - and will create problems from time to time, but by no means is the cause to more than probably 0.1% of crashes.
Most likely, our crashes can be attributed to pilot error/mechanical failure. ( 99.9%)

(Numbers are just a guess, mostly from my own experience-and crashes)

Search for "solar weather", there are some nice sites out there that will explain everything we know about it, and some sites have solar impact forcasts, current solar weather, flare activity, etc. (edit: see above link also) Ooops!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:35 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I'm sure it "could" effect (or is it affect) our radios.... but sounds to me like another excuse for a crash other than Pilot error
Old 05-24-2005, 08:53 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark Pf??? Username Wocketman is a Nasa Rocket Guru responsible for the main booster rocket. He is also an RC Turbine Pilot. He claims it is absolutely 100% plausible and believes one of his first jets was lost to this phenomenon.

I've know Wockman for three years and flown with him on a couple of occasions, have no doubt in his reason.

Sean
Old 05-24-2005, 09:26 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats MY story and I'm stikin to it![sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Well I suppose if your bouncing your R/C signal off a satalite.

Or flying during an extreme solar event, at the north or south pole, with a very large plane at the very edge of where you can see it then maybe.

If none of the above apply to you, then concentrate on vibration isolation and proper battery care and you will minimize your radio problems.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:40 PM
wsmalley
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far it sounds like intuitive reasoning but, I don't see any 'scientific' explanation to prove or disprove the idea. I have no opinion other than trying to listen to my radio and something seems amiss. Seems like some pretty experienced fliers say-yes. Granted, other things-like batteries, brain farts, dumb thumbs, may be the culprit, but how do you prove it, one way or the other?
Old 05-24-2005, 09:06 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

THAT is the challenging part.

(When you have a bag 'o pieces, and ask "what happened?" )
Old 05-24-2005, 09:39 PM
kdheath

So far it sounds like intuitive reasoning but, I don't see any 'scientific' explanation to prove or disprove the idea. I have no opinion other than trying to listen to my radio and something seems amiss. Seems like some pretty experienced fliers say-yes. Granted, other things-like batteries, brain farts, dumb thumbs, may be the culprit, but how do you prove it, one way or the other?
That's really the big problem with any RC accident-absent some serious post-crash investigation, it's hard to pinpoint a cause for a lot of crashes. Especially loss of control, often blamed on radio failure. Sometimes you can make a convincing argument for good ole brain fart. Come on now, fess up! Who hasn't blamed pilot error on the radio at least once?

It's just that the science suggests that solar interference is unlikely under reasonable comditions. If you want to watch the activity monitors and avoid flying when the levels are high, go ahead, I suppose. I don't expect to ever worry about it, though.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:16 AM
Jimmbbo

[quote]ORIGINAL: kdheath

. If you want to watch the activity monitors and avoid flying ...
Do you have a website for solar flare/radio interference activity?

Cheers!

Jim
Old 05-25-2005, 08:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Do you have a website for solar flare/radio interference activity?
http://www.spaceweather.com

I don't often list credentials however my opinion comes from 12 years as a Naval flight communications operator and avionics tech. I've used and maintained a variety of HF, VHF, UHF, LF, satellite and secure communications equipment including voice, data and TTY. Solar activity generally does not interfere with anything thats LOS (Line Of Sight).