Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Stupid beginner questions

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Stupid beginner questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 07:34 AM
mbested

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid beginner questions

Hi. I've been driving an rc nitro car and it's just plain nononsense fun.. but i would like to get into flying. I absolutely don't know nothing (almost), and i hope you can answer these very simple questions

1) How many channels is normal to fly an rc plane with? is it 4? - ailrons, rudder, alevator and throttle. I've almost seen some beginner 2 channels and 3 channels also (guess that's with the ailrons?). How about those that does advanced 3d flying, is that 4 channels as well? I don't know because i've seen transmitters up to 14 channels (that futuba one [sm=surprised.gif]), is all the extra channel just for extra functions like landing gear or whatever. What is channels used for in a heli? (the beginner and the advanced).

2) What is most fun to fly, helis or planes? (you don't have to answer this one )

3) What transmitter to buy? i would like to work with planes as well as helis (aren't they the same type? as i understand, every transmitter kan fly a heli if it got the programming for it). Also.. i plan on getting a simulator, so it should work with that too. What is PCM?
Will the hitec laser 6 (6 channels) be a nice transmitter?

4) How does a plane work? (hmm) ... the transmitter sends signals to the reciver, which activates the servos? What does an ESC do?

5) How are the planes and helis with a real engine powered? is it a nitro or gas? is it like rc cars where small are eletric, normal are nitro and the huge ones are gasoline.

6) this is the classic... which plane? i have had a look at some GreatPlanes at towerhobbies, and they seem pretty good an easy for beginners. Is there any MUST have planes (or helis) for beginers?

thanks
Old 05-26-2005, 08:08 AM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Stupid beginner questions

Your questions aren't stupid. As to the "how does it work" line of questions, check out any of the "FAQ" materials available on the web. Tower Hobbies has a beginner section, as does the AMA, RCU, and other sites. Just do some clicking and searching. These materials will answer pretty much all of your questions more thoroughly than is practical in the forums. Spending a few hours reading the posts in the beginner's section might also be worthwhile.

As to the "which is best" questions, those are questions you'll have to answer for yourself after you get into it. Simply too many variables to give you any meaningful insight. If you want my personal opinion - start out with a four-channel glow-powered airplane in the .40 to .60 size range. Choose your radio based on what local folks typically use. I helped a new pilot the other day with a Telemaster from hobby-lobby with a Futaba skysport 6 and a .46 two stroke engine and it was a nice setup.

The best thing you can do is to find a local flying club and talk with the folks there.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mbested

Hi. I've been driving an rc nitro car and it's just plain nononsense fun.. but i would like to get into flying. I absolutely don't know nothing (almost), and i hope you can answer these very simple questions

1) How many channels is normal to fly an rc plane with? is it 4? - ailrons, rudder, alevator and throttle. I've almost seen some beginner 2 channels and 3 channels also (guess that's with the ailrons?). How about those that does advanced 3d flying, is that 4 channels as well? I don't know because i've seen transmitters up to 14 channels (that futuba one [sm=surprised.gif]), is all the extra channel just for extra functions like landing gear or whatever. What is channels used for in a heli? (the beginner and the advanced).

>Glow powered planes typically use 4 channels - rudder, ailerons,
>throttle and elevator. Electric planes use either 3 or 4 channels.
>The MAJORITY of electric trainers and sport planes use 3 channels
>Rudder, elevator OR ailerons and ESC (Electronic Speed Control).
>Transmitters with more than 4 channels - the additional channels
>are used for things like flaps, retractable landing gear, bomb/candy
>drops and to operate other accessories. MOST people rarely
>use more than 6 channels.
>
>I am not that familiar with heli, but my understanding is that a
>4 channel transmitter can handle a heli.

2) What is most fun to fly, helis or planes? (you don't have to answer this one )

>That is a matter of choice. They both have advantages and
>disadvantages.

3) What transmitter to buy? i would like to work with planes as well as helis (aren't they the same type? as i understand, every transmitter kan fly a heli if it got the programming for it). Also.. i plan on getting a simulator, so it should work with that too. What is PCM?
Will the hitec laser 6 (6 channels) be a nice transmitter?

>For a transmitter I suggest going to the flying field and find out
>what BRAND is used by the majority of the people there. Manuals
>are good, but a live person with experience on your brand of
>radio is better when (not IF, but WHEN ) a problem/question comes
>up. I also suggest finding out which are THE LEAST USED CHANNELS
>and get the radio on one of those channels. It will minimize/eliminate
>your wait for the channel to clear so you can fly. If a transmitter
>is programmed for a heli, it will work on a heli.
>
>PCM is basically a "Fail Safe" in the receiver. In the event you
>loose the signal, the receiver will put the aircraft into a PRE
>PROGRAMMED flight. PCM is also "SUPPOSED" to minimize/eliminate
>interference. You WILL NEED specific receivers for PCM and
>they are not cheap. PCM is proprietary to a manufacturer and is
>continually changing. I use regular fm and I have had 2 hits in
>about 4 years of flying.
>
>I also STRONGLY suggest getting a COMPUTER radio with 6 (or
>more channels ). All the major brands are very good and
>reliable. Be aware that Airtronic and JR are positive shift
>radios and HiTec and Futaba are negative shift. MOST HiTec
>and Futaba radios are compatible with each other (for buddy
>box cords and receivers ) where Airtronics and JR are USUALLY
>only compatible with themselves.

4) How does a plane work? (hmm) ... the transmitter sends signals to the reciver, which activates the servos? What does an ESC do?

>An ESC is an Electronic Speed Control. It controls the speed of
>the motor on an electric plane.

5) How are the planes and helis with a real engine powered? is it a nitro or gas? is it like rc cars where small are eletric, normal are nitro and the huge ones are gasoline.

>That is basically correct. However, there are more planes being
>powered with electric with the breakthrough of brushless motors and
>LiPo (Lithium Polymer) batteries. Be advised that a brushless
>motor, LiPos and ESC for larger planes (40 - 60 size ) can easily cost
>$1,000.00 or more, plus a special charger is needed for LIPO
>batteries.

6) this is the classic... which plane? i have had a look at some GreatPlanes at towerhobbies, and they seem pretty good an easy for beginners. Is there any MUST have planes (or helis) for beginers?

>For a beginner, I would suggest a 40 size trainer (most trainers fly
>pretty much the same), a USER FRIENDLY ball bearing 46 engine
>and a radio as described above. I would avoid the RTF setups
>because the engine power ranges from marginal to OK FOR A
>TRAINER (but is rarely useable in a second plane ) and the radios
>are usually a BASE LEVEL 4 channel radio with no choice of a
>channel. You will receive a lot of suggestions on trainers. The
>most popular seem to be: PT-40 and Hobbico SuperStar/Avistar.
>I am certain there are other popular trainers also.

thanks
Hope this answers your questions.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:53 AM
mbested

Old 05-27-2005, 12:25 AM
redfox435cat

these are not dumb questions and everyone need to start somewere.

a standard heli requirs 5 channels
throttle and collective is mixed together. 1 for for/aft 1 for yaw and one for tail rotor with a gyro for the tail rotor.

AS far as which is better heli or airplane that a tuff call. Helis are very expensive when crashed.

Your normal airplane is 4 channel. a 5th channel for retracts and a 6th for flaps. Best advise anyone can give is find your local flying club. Join it and the AMA. Find an instructor to teach you to fly. There are very few natural flyers around. Flying for the most part is learned. If you don't chances are your going to crash, spend a whole lot of money with nothing to show for it get frustrated and give up on the hobby.

the simplest airplane to get would be a flying wing with 3 chanels. aileron and elevator mixed together and a throttle. These are usually electric. thei zagi XS and Tazz are good planes. Their not really meant as a trainer but quite a few people in our club have learned to fly with these. Most of these guy do have trouble leanring to fly 4 channel models. They have trouble unleanrning bumping the rudder when using the throttle. www.trickrc.com

3-d flying is still just 4 channels. You basically take a very stable aerobatic plane. overpower the hell out of it and throw the surface controles as far as they physically can go.
The 14 channel radio I wouldn't even know what to do with all those channels. Me and three othe guys did a b-17 and used 2 8 channel radios. One flew it with 7 channels, 2 channels on the throttle and the other 5 starndard functions. the other operated cameras turrens, bomb doors, and airsoft guns

I do have one glider that uses 9 channels.
5 channels in the wing. flaps alerions taking 4 channels with a 4 way mix with spoilers y-ed togerther also mixed in for crow function
2 channels on the elevator, 1 on the rudder and a tow release. this is of course not a begginer model

If you plan on going both heli and planes get a heli radio. The terms and functions will be easier to set up for a heli in heli terms. PLanes are a heck of alot easier and the lingo is much simpler so seting up a plane in heli terms won't be much of a problem. Usuaully most heli radios have a funtion to swich to Acro mode which is airplanes and funtions in airplanes terms. In all practicallity start with airplanes

PCM is pulse code modualation. Same a PPM pulse position modulation. PSM is a fail safe function. basically when your model loses signal the servos go to a predetermined position to minimise damage

well I could go on and on