Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Retract question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Retract question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:42 PM
RCer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retract question

I am adding retracts to a low wing plane that I am building. The wings will have dihedral build into them (about 5cm at the each wing tip for with each wing being 60cm long). If I install the retracts parallel with the bottom of the wing they will be at an angle to the ground when extended. Will this be a problem? I have considered installing them at an angle to the bottom of the wing so they will extend perpendicular to the ground. However, this will mean that the wheel is extended further into the wing and the wing is barely thick enough for this! What should I do. Should I go the easy road and install them parallel to the bottom of the wing when retracted or should I angle them as much as possible so they will be close to perpendicular to the ground when extended?

Regards
RCer
Old 05-28-2005, 03:23 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Retract question

You need 85 degree retracts. They are made specificly to address your situation.
Old 05-28-2005, 03:40 PM
RCer

I allready got the retracts. They are 90 degrees B&D air retracts. They seem very nice. Any suggestion what I should do with regards to the above?

Regards
RCer.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:08 PM
captjack
Banned
My Feedback: (3)

how thick is the wing were the wheels will set.You should be okay if you install them so that when extended they are 90 degrees to the botom of the wing.remember that for the first ten years prior to robart all there were was rhom,goldberg,sonic tronics and a few others all they made was 90 degree retracts.if the wing is thick enough you can mount them so that when retracted the wheels are touching the upper wing skin.leave enough room for the foam rubber cushion.