Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Monokote wringkle Expert, how to get it right? vs Oracover excellent!

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Monokote wringkle Expert, how to get it right? vs Oracover excellent!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 07:31 PM
Magna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monokote wringkle Expert, how to get it right? vs Oracover excellent!

Hi all

I have only uses 2-3 times Monokote and result has never been satisfactorily where as with Oracover and Solarfilm, it has been great even from first time using them.

Last night I actually have bad feeling that the monokote going to give me headache again as the LHS have no Oracover.

So with 2 monokote (white and missile red) to cover my Simprop E Glider. This is foam sheet obechi.

While I try as much as I can, I still ended up with more bubble and once it cool down, you can see some wrinkle. The wing is also a sweep back with wing tip and does not make covering any easier.

Whereas my experience has been great with Oracover. They are a lot more forgiving and shrink well, with lower temp as well.

Short of using woodpecker, is that the reason of the failure? I have no problem at all when I recover my BH Extra 300S last month with Oracover. No bubble at all!!

So you all expert out there on Monokote, please help?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:27 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monokote wringkle Expert, how to get it right? vs Oracover excellent!

I would cover a long thin wood covered foam wing by cutting a Monokote piece about two inches wider on each side of the wing. But I would only leave enough length to allow for a slight overlap at each polyhedral joint.

Then with relatively low iron heat I would lightly and quickly iron a line of attachment down the center , say at the top most point of the curve (lengthwise). Once this was evenly done I then would slowly start in the center of the section that you are working and at that center point and iron towards the front LE of the wing. But I would iron only about an inch at a time, trying to keep bubbles to a minimum and not getting a stretched section going. Once I completed the front have of the wing then I would go back to that first attachment point and work of the back half. Keeping the heat rather low is to keep the diagonal stretch problem down to a minimum.

It's easier to do than to describe!!
Old 06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
cknaack
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Monokote wringkle Expert, how to get it right? vs Oracover excellent!

Magna,

All iron on coverings can and will create bubbles under the covering. A good bit of avoiding bubbles requires practice. I agree that UltraCote (Oracover) is better than MonoKote with respect to bubble production. The bubbles are produced when the covering is heated. The bubbles are actually gas that is released when the adhesive is activated. If you plan on staying with MonoKote, I would suggest using a Woodpecker where possible, and keeping the heat to a minimum. The drawback to the low heat is the possibility of poor adhesion. Your choice. Mine has been to use Oracover.

Good luck

Regards

Craig
Old 06-27-2005, 05:29 AM
Dr1Driver

The Woodpecker definitely helps on solid sheet, especially a hardwood like Obechi. Since you're already covered, ***** the bubbles in a couple of spots with a straight pin and hit them with the heat gun again. You may have to live with the wrinkles if they won't shrink out. Monokote can take a lot of heat, so don't be afraid to hit it hard with the heat gun, just keep it moving around. Get a copy of Harry Higley's book, There Are No Secrets. It's a great treatise on covering.

Monokote can also be heated and stretched. Iron one or two sides down. Grab hold of the selvege and pull while heating with the gun or iron. As you pull, it will begin to stretch. Then lay it down over the piece you want to cover.

Dr.1
Old 06-27-2005, 10:44 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try getting a fleece monokote glove and as you shrink with a heat gun, rub the monokote down onto the wood.

Works great

Don