Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Goldburg kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 08:47 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldburg kits

Apparently Carl Goldburg has been bought by Lanier and operated in the same manner.
I checked into purchasing a Fus. kit for the Ultimate 10-300. They don't offer a kit anymore just individual parts (you have to know what you want and have to purchase plans and instructions to find out), how nice.
Check out their prices for parts, incredible.........
I was unimpressed in my dealings with Lanier when needing parts for my Stinger 60 and swore I would avoid doing business whith them in the future.......
Guess they will run Goldburt into the ground.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Default RE: Goldburg kits

I'm a dealer and used to carry their kits in my store. Bubba has even flown here at our field. Now if I want to order parts for my customers i have to pay in advance. GP does not have parts in stock. They can run their business any way they want, and it's my choice if i sell their products. Dennis
Old 06-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Gizmo-RCU

That explains alot, when I made an order for a Stinger engine cowel (crappy abs), they advised they were out and would have to make one? Took several weeks and phone calls to obtain a basically misformed piece of junk, such quality, my, my.
The friend who wanted the ultimate Fus. had to buy plans and instructions $20.00+ just to understand their special instructions and unique terminology, how conviniant. My friend is an Aircraft A and P mecanic. pilot of both full size an RC aircraft as well as owner builder of both types.......he said he had no clue from their discriptions.
Sounds like Goldburg is down the drain.......
Old 06-28-2005, 01:47 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Was Goldberg like that before Lanier bought them? Can you state that as fact? Lanier makes decent planes and Goldberg makes better planes, but your flaming them sounds un-informed.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:16 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Carl Goldberg died some years back. When he was in charge you couldn't ask for better service. I have heard that when he passed on his daughter was operating the business. I hadn't heard that it was purchased by Lanier. Since Carl's passing I have bought a couple of Goldberg kits and all was well. Having read the above I will tread a bit more lightly in that field.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:21 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Goldbergs kits were great and HE was a saint ! His kid did OK. Bubba's reputaion has been what it is for at least 20 years. Sooner or later, everyone figures out who they are dealing with. And yes, the word is Bubba bought the line.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:28 PM
Gizmo-RCU

In response to woops......

I delt with Lanier and came to the conclusion that I was going to avoid doing so again. They lost my initial order then several weeks later I called again, they knew nothing of my first call. Severral weeks later I called again and was told they had made one especially for me, how special. When it arrived it was a crappy piece of ABS plastic that was not fully formed and was dimpled, I was billed full price.....I kept it and repaired it as best I could .
I pulled up their parts list for the Ultimate and found it really impossible to make any sense of w/out plans and instructions, was this by design?
I will avoid doing business with them from now on.
Old 06-29-2005, 01:15 AM
MinotRich

Are you people looking at the same website that I am? Try this link: http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/ultimatearf.htm
According to this website, the fuse is available for $247.95. I haven't dealt with them myself, but, maybe it's worth a shot. Forgive me if this is who you were dealing with in the first place and were dissatisfied. Rich
Old 06-29-2005, 07:36 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Minot, he's looking for a KIT version of the fuse - Not the ARF version.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:53 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve been buying Lanier RC stuff for decades and they have always been great.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:01 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lanier DEFINITELY is the parent company of Carl Goldberg Models.

When I bought my CG Ultimate bipe a few years back, the deal had just been struck. I spoke with a fellow at Lanier who assured me that the Goldberg line would remain mainly unchanged; same vendors would be building the ARFs, etc. The only changes we would see, he said, would be minor hardware considerations.

That has been the case as I see it. My Ultimate is one of the last that was produced before the acquisition; when I ordered it, The Empire said they were out- then called back the next day and said they found one and did I want it? How about that? It came with the bound manual and Klett tail wheel assembly. The new batches distributed by Lanier have xeroxed/stapled manuals and a metal tail wheel unit. There are two of these at my club; both are the same exemplary quality that mine is. I have had many enjoyable flights with that model, and plan on many more.

I bought a Matrix, and had a few questions. Called the Goldberg number, talked to a woman with a rather nasty disposition and no idea what I was asking about. Called Lanier (same area code; in my profession, that's known as a clue), got a fellow who was very familiar with the airplane and had some helpful suggestions.

I recently completed a Goldberg Sukhoi. It was easily the best overall quality ARF I've dealt with. The parts fit, quality, etc. was every bit as good as the much-vaunted Extreme Flight Yak 54. I had one of those too, so that opinion is not hearsay.

I have heard many of the "horror" stories regarding Lanier, and in fact have seen a few of their kits and was somewhat underwhelmed. I have no plans to buy a Lanier airplane. But I'll buy another Goldberg in a heartbeat; and that Pitts S-12 keeps looking better every time I look at it...[X(]
Old 06-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Gizmo-RCU

I am looking for the kit version and the only way to get it is to buy it by individual pieces that you have no idea what they are by discription. No longer can you purchase a Fus. kit, etc. Apparently they discontinued this practice recently.........
I woder if they will make each piece when ordered?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:38 AM
50%plane

Why not just buy a new kit? You'll get extra wings as well as the hardware.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:13 PM
Gizmo-RCU

Why? Most of the better kit suppliers have partial kits available and Goldburg always did in the past. Better yet why buy from those who don't really care about anything but the mighty buck.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:31 PM
50%plane

Hanger9's Showtime seems to be a great plane.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:57 AM
50%plane

Why do you hate Goldberg/Lanier so much? Did the thought ever occur to you that most kit manufacturers are moving to ARFs and that the fuse kits are probbably discontinued because people are buying ARFs and don't care for a partial kit?

Also the kit fuse might be different from the ARF fuse. You might want to check that out.