Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

filling the fuel tank

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

filling the fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default filling the fuel tank

I have been flying a plane where i can easily remove the fuel tank and tell when to stop pumping fuel in. But i recentatly got a plane where it won't be so easy to access the fuel tank. I have several times fluded the engine trying to do put fuel in when the wing is on by over pumping. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how to fill the tank without flooding the engine. thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 05:54 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: filling the fuel tank

Remove the line that goes to your carburetor and connect you fuel pump to it. Remove the line that goes to the pressure fitting on your muffler and point it to wards the ground. Pump fuel in until fuel starts coming out the pressure line.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old 06-30-2005, 07:25 PM
voyager_663rd

or take the line from the muff and direct it into a baby food jar. when it comes out that end, stop filling. reconnect. recycle the fuel. no loss. never had a problem with this method (some say the fuel is contaminated. I say my method works just fine).
Old 06-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Cambo
My Feedback: (2)

what about when the engine is covered
Old 06-30-2005, 10:14 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

RCKen--

Related question--

I have been fueling like you described since I started flying last fall. I have also been reading many threads about adding a 3rd fuel line and fuel dots for cowled engines. If you have a 3rd fueling line --- do you just fuel/de-fuel through it or do you also need to remove the pressure line??

Thanks
Old 06-30-2005, 10:23 PM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: mimhoff

RCKen--

Related question--

I have been fueling like you described since I started flying last fall. I have also been reading many threads about adding a 3rd fuel line and fuel dots for cowled engines. If you have a 3rd fueling line --- do you just fuel/de-fuel through it or do you also need to remove the pressure line??

Thanks
The third line has a plug in it (it extends out the bottom of the cowl/fuse, similar to the drain line on a 4s) so tank pressure is maintained during running. To fill, you unplug it (again, use a jar to catch the "overflow" ) and you then unplug the fuel dot and connect your fuel line to that line. Tank is full when fuel runs out of the third line. What the third line does is intercept the fuel (when full) before it gets to the muffler. Put the dot back in, put the dot back in it's "holder" and put the plug back in the third line. Done.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:40 PM
mimhoff

Thanks Voyager --

I am still not sure I get it or maybe my understanding of the 3rd line is wrong.

Wish I was good enough on the 'puter to attach drawing -- but here is how thought the 3rd line was setup:

1 - line between carb and tank (tank line has clunk)
1 - line between Fuel Dot and tank (this tank line also has clunk to assist in de-fueling)
1 - line between tank and nipple on exhaust muffler (the tank line on this is bent up to vent?)

This is how I understand the 3 line system???

Now to fuel I thought you removed the fuel dot from holder - remove dot and fill from fuel can line. If .... this is correct (and I am not sure that I got any of this correct) Where does the "overflow" go??? Out the muffler? or do I still need to remove what I have described as the pressure line the same as I would do on a two line setup.

Sorry -- I just want to get this right.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 PM
redfox435cat

Get one of these valves. put it inline with the carb and level with the carb and the tank, that is not too critical but it helps.

If you can see the return line on the muffler make sure you get one(fuel line) you can see through then carfully fill untill you see fuel then back the pump off one turn. If you can't see the return line then your only choice is to fill it until ya get fuel out the muffler, its a waste though

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK135&P=0]fueler valve[/link]
Old 06-30-2005, 11:49 PM
mimhoff

Redfox--

I put one of those valves on my Rascal. I thought it was a pretty neat, clean way of plumbing the engine at first ..... but I had a couple minor issues.

1. The one I had used a special notched fueling probe that would not fit in my fuel can return opening. So I had to make an adapter out of 3" piece of tubing and the probe. Had to try to hang on to my filler adapter, then attach to fuel can line then insert probe in valve.

2. Occasionally, I would remove the probe from the valve and it would stick and drain fuel all over the place. I finally learned to kind of pull the probe out at an angle and it put a little pressure on valve and would close properly.

It lost some of it's convenience because of these reasons.

The third line appeals to me because of no special fittings or valves to deal with. Simple.

Just having a problem understanding for sure how to configure it.

PS -The problem went away(along with the firewall & LG) with just one very poor landing[&o].
Old 07-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Kaos Rulz

ORIGINAL: mimhoff

Thanks Voyager --

I am still not sure I get it or maybe my understanding of the 3rd line is wrong.

Wish I was good enough on the 'puter to attach drawing -- but here is how thought the 3rd line was setup:

1 - line between carb and tank (tank line has clunk)
1 - line between Fuel Dot and tank (this tank line also has clunk to assist in de-fueling)
1 - line between tank and nipple on exhaust muffler (the tank line on this is bent up to vent?)

This is how I understand the 3 line system???

Now to fuel I thought you removed the fuel dot from holder - remove dot and fill from fuel can line. If .... this is correct (and I am not sure that I got any of this correct) Where does the "overflow" go??? Out the muffler? or do I still need to remove what I have described as the pressure line the same as I would do on a two line setup.

Sorry -- I just want to get this right.
You're right on target. The 3rd line can have a clunk on it, or just be bent down to the bottom front of the tank. When fueling (using the 3d line with Dot) the overflow will come out the muffler, or preferably out the disconnected muffler pressure line, if you have access to it.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:27 AM
waagbuck
My Feedback: (1)

I use an old fuel tank for my overflow rather than a little jar. It has a piece of fuel tubing still connected to it with a short piece of brass tube as a joiner. It requires no aim to get it into the fuel tank and it doesn't splash or spill if it gets knocked over.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Kaos Rulz

waagbuck,

That's a good idea. I like that. Plenty good enough to post in the "Tip & Techniques" section.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 PM
mimhoff

Ed-- Thanks alot. I kept getting part of the picture but was not sure I had it straight. I think I do understand it now. I know there are lots of ways to skin a cat -- I just want to get one method straight. I am going to give the 3rd line a shot. I do actually like the idea of the valve but the simplicty of third line has me favoring it.

Mark

Thanks to all.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:50 PM
voyager_663rd

when you get the dot (Bisson makes a good one-either, large or small), it has "plumbing instructions" to show you how to route them. This is what I was trying to describe to you.

http://bissonmufflers.com/en/accesso...ting_id=114508
Old 07-01-2005, 09:12 PM
mimhoff

Voyager--

Thanks a bunch. I already purchased some dots from PSP Mfg that look almost identical to the ones you have shown except they did not come with instructions. I think the schematic answers all my questions. The "T" on the pressure line is the part I was missing. This allows an easy way to deal with the overflow other than running into the muffler. It looks as though you could use a second "Dot" to mange the Overflow line. The diagram just shows just a plug but a second "Dot" would make a clean install. Sorry I am kind of a neatness freak. Thank you very much for posting the picture/schematic -- they are just what I needed.

Mark
Old 07-01-2005, 09:32 PM
voyager_663rd

yw.