Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Fuel jug fitting

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Fuel jug fitting

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Montega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel jug fitting

How do you guys set up your gallon jugs of fuel without letting air get to the fuel? I have a manual fuel pump and I was thinking I could just put one line on it with a clunk, and another line to connect to the model's tank. Then just put the original cap on the jug when I'm not fueling. I know this sounds like basic knowledge, but I haven't been active in the hobby for a few years and can't really remember how people used to do it. Thanks.

-Patrick
Old 07-03-2005, 06:16 AM
bbbair

Default RE: Fuel jug fitting

There are many methods, personally I like to use a 'Day Tank' I realised that I never use a gallon per day so why carry all that extra weight around?

Get a 1 Qt plastic Orange Juice container that'll fit nicely in your flight box (wash it out well) and carefully drill two holes in the lid. Buy the required refueling fittings to connect yourself up and away you go.

Personally I go a step further with a 'Closed loop' system, this is where I attach the input fuel line to the AC and then I attach the overflow line back to the daytank (using extra fuel line and brass tubing) this prevents spillage and reduces the exposure to the elements

No only is this lightweight buy you don't expose your entire gallon of fuel to evaporation and humidity.

As I recall there have been several threads on this topic - you may also want to do a search for other ideas.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:51 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

You need a cap that has two lines going through it. One to connect the fuel pump and clunk with the line, and the other to act as a vent. When you're not filling or emptying your tank, the filling line from the pump attaches to the vent on the fuel jug. If you've got a couple pieces of brass tubing and a spare cap you can make your own, or you can buy a premade one from your LHS, Tower, etc.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: bbbair

Personally I go a step further with a 'Closed loop' system, this is where I attach the input fuel line to the AC and then I attach the overflow line back to the daytank (using extra fuel line and brass tubing) this prevents spillage and reduces the exposure to the elements
I had been doing this too but recently had a problem with the fuel going bad at the end of the jug. The engine does produce water vapor as a byproduct and maybe it is not such a good idea to reroute the fuel from the tank back to the jug considering the exaust pressure has intoduced some vapor into that fuel. Then too the air in the tank may have a higher moisture content than ambient air.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:53 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Try this way. I used a stopper and brass from a tank out of a crashed plane. I have a few of them just laying around. I just used an knife to cut the hole in the plastic fuel can lid. Then installed it like it was on the tank. The hand pump is zip tied to the can with a little two sided tape behind it. Works great and was free.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47012.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	293184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52533.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	293185  
Old 07-24-2005, 12:28 PM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

I plan on using a electric fuel pump inside my roll around field box. My gallon jug will be in the box as well with only the power panel on the outside for control. How can I provide a vent to the second line in the fuel bottle cap without having to open up the field box every time? I've thought of using fuel dots on the side of the field box to have access to the fuel line to the plane, but what about the second vent line on the jug? I can't leave it open all the time, or the fuel will be ruined by humidity. I don't want to get into the field box every time I fuel to unplug a vent line. Any ideas?

Jesse