Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

pinning the hinges ...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

pinning the hinges ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 11:37 AM
decombs21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinning the hinges ...

What is the collective doing other than just gluing the hinges into place? I'd sure like to hear about it.

I'm down to the wire with the Astro Hog. I've been gluing in the hinges. Here's what I've been doing:

Using the DuBro hinging tool to cut out a pocket (this was done before covering the plane and final assembly).

Melting some vaseline and dipping the hinge-pin area in it and putting it aside to set.

Finally, I use 30 minute epoxy to glue in one side of the hinge to the stabs and wing and then glue the hinges into their respective control surfaces.

At first I was not going to pin the hinges with toothpicks since I didn't want to mess up my great covering job. But now I'm concerned that I better do so for safety's sake.

So what is the collective doing other than just gluing the hinges into place? I'd sure like to hear about it.

Dave
Old 07-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: pinning the hinges ...

It sounds like you've done enough.
Check for looseness after flight.
I haven't pinned a hinge in years.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:19 PM
campbec

Hi Dave,

You will get diametrically opposed points of view to the burning question of "to pin or not to pin". For the small effort involved vs peace of mind I always pin my hinges and have never had a failure in over fourty years of building. I have never worried about the integrity of the hinge attachment either.

Others will obviously have similar stories and they have never pinned their hinges. It's your call!

Cheers,

Colin
Old 07-10-2005, 06:57 PM
SteveGB

Is it enough to CA two toothpick pins per side of a hinge (four for the entire hinge) without glue inside the hinge slot?
Old 07-10-2005, 07:13 PM
campbec

Hi Steve,

Short answer is "I don't know".

I have always used the pins (one or two per side of the hinge) in addition to gluing the hinge into the slot. I think the load bearing point would be so small as to invite failure or at least a "keyhole" of the hinge around the pin point without gluing the hinge into the slot.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 07-10-2005, 08:27 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I've started using polyurethane glue on my hinges. I slot for, and insert my hinges without gluing, then drill and pin using PU to coat the dampened toothpick. I rely on the PU to expand into the slot, while falling short of oozing far enough to foul the hinge line and have yet to have a failure.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:12 PM
decombs21

In my younger years I used to pin ALL the hinges. After reading what you guys suggested, given my paranoid tendencies, I'll just pin the outer hinges on each control surface. That way if anything goes wrong I'll still have control and be able to get down.

I like the promise of PU glue but am concerned about its handling characteristics, it's a little too extreme for me.

Thanks, all,

Dave
Old 07-11-2005, 06:09 AM
Kaos Rulz

decombs21,

If you drill the hole from the bottom of the wing, stab, and use care, you can drill through the hinge without breaking the upper surface. (Unfortunately, this does not work for the rudder. You'll have to choose a side and drill it) Place a toothpick in the hole and CA it. To patch the hole, I use a paper hole punch and punch out several monokote circles and apply these over the toothpick/hole.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

From the way you described your installation process, I wouldn't bother pinning. It would take an Ape with an Airhammer to get them out.