Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Field Box Battery Problem Charging

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Field Box Battery Problem Charging

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 PM
Hootcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Field Box Battery Problem Charging

I need some help with my Field Box Battery.
I previosly had the battery completely set up in my Wood Flight Box. I connceted the charger that was supplied with it by soldering the wires direct to the batt posts,along with the the power panel leads and later a volt watch was added as well.
Everything has worked fine for the past couple of years (3 +).
The Batt charged fine and the panel worked perfect and the Volt Watch did as it was supposed to.
Now the problem!!
I pulled all this out of the Wood Box to put into a new plastic Tackle Box type setup.
I wired everything back in the exact same order and as soon as I touch the last wire from the wall charger for the Batt I had spark and the lead to the wall charger wires were FRIED !!!
I have diconnected everythig from the battery and still get a large spark when I try to connect the second wire if the wall carger and the wire get hot fast (it is a different charger the other was toast)
I may have tapped the the Soldering Iron to the other post while de-soldering the wires? If so it could have only been momentary.
Is it possible the the Batt has a dead short of some sort now?
If I can't connect the charger leads without melting them there is no way to charge the Batt.
At first I thought maybe there was a short in my Panel, but I am having this problem with nothing connected to the Batt. (except to touch the charger wire to the posts and I have switched them back and forth and it makes no difference.
Any suggestions would be GREAT.
Thanks Hootcher
Old 07-12-2005, 01:45 AM
JRFisher

Default RE: Field Box Battery Problem Charging

Double check your polarity. It sounds like it is reversed.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:09 AM
Hootcher

As I mentioned in my original psot I have reversed the wires back and forth and it still sparks.
I do wonder if the battery has to be discarged in order to make the connection. It would have been dead so to speak when I first got it new and put the wires on
Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have a short in your wall charger system.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:27 PM
rctrax

any time the batt fights you when you try to hook it up you are reversing the polarity. Make sure that you have the polarity right. Plus to Plus and Minus to Minus The Plus wire from the charger goes to the Plus post of the bat and the neg wire from the charger goes to the neg post of the bat
Old 07-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Hootcher

As I mentioned in my original post I have reversed the wires back and forth and even tried a different wall charging unit and get the same results.
I still have a feeling that the problem could be because the battery has a charge on it as it was not charged when I originally made the connection when it was brand new.
I did pick up a new battery and wall charger (Hangar 9) today as one of or LHS is going out of business and having a 30% off sale.
JUST FOUND OUT !!!
Tried the new batt and charger and NO SPARK.
So I tried the old wall chargers (both) and they BOTH spark on the new battery, but he NEW charger does not spark on the new batt OR the old batt!!
John you were right!!!
What are the odds of both (older) wall chargers being shorted or bad ??
One had never even been used !!
Oh Well!! Looks like things will be OK,except I didn't really need the new batt after all.
Now has anyone ever connected two of these batts in Parrellel?? For longer power?
Just wondering and thanks for all your help
Hootcher
Old 10-17-2013, 07:19 AM
airborne14830

I have a tower hobbies 12 volt battery, and plugged it up to get a full charge. went to the flying field and my starter would not turn my saito 100 prop over. We did a voltmeter check and it says the battery was charge to 12.6 volts, but it did not have the ump to turn a prop. We used another field box and my starter worked fine from that one. should I do something different with this battery to regain the ump? the battery is only a few months old.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
If you use an old -time lead battery you should at least use a 12V 9-10A motorcycle battery . 7A is to weak for the larger fourstroke engines!
A much betetter way of powering a field box/starter is to use 14,8V 3000mAh LiFe cell. Much less weight and more ump for the starter!