Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Cleaning an old engine

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Cleaning an old engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Pubhi
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning an old engine

I recently made a purchase from ebay which included a he plane along with an engine. From the condition of this engine, I can tell that it hasn't been in flying condition for a long long time. It is extremely difficult to turn over and after tearing it all apart, I noticed that it is extremely dirty inside. The piston is all blackened, burnt glow fuel residue all over inside, carb is completely jammed(throttle does not open or close).

So, I have two questions. First, how can I clean this engine? Is it safe to use WD40 on these engines? Is there a safe cleaning liquid that can be used to soak this engine to remove all this gunk? Second, how do you remove the piston and crankshaft? I have removed every nut and bolt that I could and all that is left now is the piston(sleeve removed) and crankshaft that is still in the housing. My final question is about replacement parts. The engine is an O.S. .28 and I may need a new carb, bearings and gaskets for it. Is it possible to purshace these items seperately? Any other comments would be helpful, thanks.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:02 AM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning an old engine

I hope that you are mechanically inclined, after stripping the engine down that far you will have to be very good or very lucky - or both.

Cleaning; find an old crock pot pour in enough anti freeze (full scale car stuff) to cover all of the parts and allow it to 'cook' for a day or two. {#1 you can never use the crock pot for food again, #2 do this out in the garage as the odor is reported to be toxic}

Do a search here of RCU for key words like Crock pot, Antifreeze and cleaning and you will see that this has been discussed at length over the years.

The parts will come out looking like new, now you have the pleasure to reassemble the engine.
Parts - after a while it becomes clear that it is cheaper to buy a new engine rather than rebuild it one piece at a time, your call. However; if you have a shop full of old engines you'd be amazed at what you can put together.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:09 AM
redfox435cat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning an old engine

Gee this sound familiar. I did 3 last week

Strip the engine down all the way. you did that

I fill a baking pan with castor oil and bake the parts for an hour at like 450

part come out looking like new. kinda like a dip tank.

Then clean off the oil with carb cleaner. don't hit any rubber. replace all gaskets. and coat all internal parts with after run oil as I reassenble. all three of these engines run like new and look almost new, doesn't have the that new luster look doing this.