Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

What kind of glue?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

What kind of glue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 04:17 PM
Hareman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of glue?

I have an O.S. .46 LA that I have broken the nipple off of the Needle valve assembly. I received a replacement needle vale assembly yesterday and today I broke the same nipple off while trying to tighten the engine mounting bolt!
Rather than spend ANOTHER $17.00 on another assembly, I want to try to glue the nipple back onto the body. However, I don't know whether to use Epoxy or CA. I believe that I can line the pieces up by inserting a heavy pin that has been greased with petroleum jelly to keep the parts aligned until the glue has cured.
Anybody know what kind of glue I can use?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:44 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: What kind of glue?

Try JB Weld. This is a two-part glue like epoxy that is black in color. It is sold at every hardware store in the adhesives section. Comes in two small squeeze tubes. It is a special epoxy that is better on metal and has higher heat tolerance. It is still likely that you will have to be very careful with this part. It will not be as strong as the original.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
WCB

I doubt that glue or epoxy will work because of the fuel. I would order another. Since it is a remote needle valve assembly you should be able to reposition it so you won't be hitting the nipple when installing the mounting bolt or take the assembly off, mount the engine and put the assembly back on if that's possible.

WCB
Old 08-18-2005, 05:01 PM
ballgunner

J B Weld is good stuff but not that good. One of our club members tried it in about the same situation you describe. I worked ! for one flight.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Hareman

I forgot to mention that the needle valve assembly body is plastic. That's why I thought epoxy might work.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:10 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

plastic,whatever happened to the metal ones.been awhile since i bought a new os engine and if they are using plastic i think i will swap to magnum or thunder tiger engines.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

most likely the only option is another needle valve. Vibration is going to be a problem and in the long run fixing it may be possible but it will probably be more head ache than it is worth. I have learned that from experience.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Hareman

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and used 30 minute epoxy and it seems to be holding and strong enough. After the first layer of epoxy dried, I added another layer to build it up around the break point. I'm hard-headed and am going to try it. If it doesn't hold, I'll have to get another asembly.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:25 PM
hhhhhhhhh
Banned

meatle glue ore 5min epoxy(aroldite)that should do the trick(make sure both surfaces are free of grese and dirt firt ore rough them up with sand paper)
Old 08-25-2005, 02:00 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully it will hold for you. I don't think that it will last. I broke the ear of of my plastic mount on an LA .40 (where the needle valve assembly was located). The JB just broke off. You would do better to just order a new Carb (with the needle valve on the carb itself).and toss out the old one. I think that OS made a mistake of going to plastic as a back plate, but there are ways to get around that.