Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Is this loud sound flutter?

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Is this loud sound flutter?

Old 07-17-2005, 06:51 AM
bad influence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this loud sound flutter?

Had a friend put my Lazy Tiger P51 in a start of a dive and heard this pop -pop -pop noise. Is this a control surface or is the wing sretching the rubber bands out and bouncing. this was a very loud noise.. I'm running a 32sx, which has pretty decent power. any Ideas how to correct? or what the heck is going on, I dont think a small surface could make that loud noise? Could it?
Old 07-17-2005, 06:58 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Is this loud sound flutter?

It's a bit difficult to tell without actually hearing the sound, but flutter usually sounds more like a "buzzing" sound. But it's not out of the question that your popping sound could be flutter. You need to check all of your controls because if it is flutter it can destroy an aircraft in seconds. Make sure everything involved with the controls is tight and won't flex.

Ken
Old 07-17-2005, 07:40 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things I would do, add a pair of rubber bands, and hold the plane by the wing near the fuselage. Shake up and down, and see if the fuselage moves. If it does, add 2 more and test again. Also, it could be some loose covering, go over the covering with a heat gun carefully, you will see fairly quickly when you hit a spot that's looser than the rest, it will make a sound. Also, check all of the seams where 2 pieces of covering overlap, a loose seam can get air under it, and that can be loud. Carefully tack / shrink it down some. This can happen to planes that see changes in temp. and humidity. I have been checking mine about once a year and have to tighten up something yearly. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:00 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flutter and the cracking of balsa at 500 feet are distinct and unforgettable sounds. Maybe another club member can listen to the sound and advise.

Bill
Old 07-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can strip servo gears in an instant. Make sure there is no play in any of the linkages and hinges. I wouldn't let it do it till you find out what's causing it. Not worth losing a plane over.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:12 PM
voyager_663rd

ever hear air brakes on a dump truck go off? something like that. or sometimes, like a playing card in bicycle spoke. the sound is more low pitched, somewhat slower and will possible resonate through the airframe, making it quite loud and distinct.

basically, a flapping-sound.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 AM
JRFisher

You also might want to put some clear cellophane tape over your hinge gaps. Many times flutter is caused by air bypassing through the gap.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:37 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Most flutter sounds like a low to mid range buzz, i.e. a large flying bug. However, I have heard flutter that had what I would consider an abnormally low frequency. I would compare the sound of this lower frequency flutter to a bicycle card in the spokes. So, you probably heard flutter. Like others have posted, check all hinges, hinge gaps, control slop, servo's, etc.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:47 PM
bhole74

If you are experiencing flutter, it is probably coming from the elevators. The junky pushrod that comes with plane needs to be replaced with two straight metal pushrods running straight to the control horns and connecting just aft of the servo arm. This took care of my flutter problems for good.
P.S. just sold mine last week after 4 years of flying the snot out of it with a 32sx.