Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Not my

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:43 PM
terratorn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not my

Not my first kit but.......
I have heard a lot of noise about "CA" being too brittle/hard to be used exclusively to build with. I realize there has to be some epoxy used also. I was just looking for a little input on the "CA" only aspect. Thanks, T.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:53 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Default RE: Not my

If you are building scale and need a nice smooth finish, then CA poses a problem. IF sheeting is applied using CA and there is CA near the surface of joints or even on the surface, it is not possible to sand the surface smooth. If you try to sand such an area smooth, the balsa will sand away easily, but there will be a ridge left where the wood has been penetrated by the CA.

But aside from trying to get a nice smooth surface on the finished model, CA is just fine. For the average sport ship CA poses no problems and is good strong glue.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:25 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With only a few exceptions (Like wing joining and adding tail feathers) I use CA almost exclusively
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

And fuel proofing. Of course, certain spray paints do this as well..
Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like to use CA almost everywhere - except firewall and wing joining. In fact I like pour 30 minute Epoxy into the firewall area , heat it with a covering gun and roll the glue around. Then the fuse is stored on its nose until the epoxy hardens.

Jerry
Old 07-20-2005, 08:26 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually prefer to use white wood glue where I can. I only use CA when I want speed. Sometimes with something like a sheet I will glue most of it with white glue and tack it down with CA to hold it while it dries. Works good for me.