Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Paint Guns

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 06:07 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Guns

As per previous post, I have decided to fiberglass and paint my next airplane, probably the RV-4 I have tucked away. The question now concerns what size fluid tip(s) are best for spraying polyeurethane and automotive paints. I have looked thru the eBay ads and have seen tips ranging from .6mm to 2.0 mm. What is going to work best with the materials mentioned above and considering the size of the pieces to be sprayed. This will, of course, be with HVLP gun or guns. Thanks again, all.

Max
Old 07-21-2005, 08:17 AM
bhole74

Default RE: Paint Guns

1.2 - 1.5 mm nozzle will work best. Hvlp really isn't nescessary unless you are just trying to avoid overspray. I still use my old Binks Model #62 for painting autos just because I hate the way a top-heavy gravity feed feels in my hand.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:03 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I have painted tons of things with the cheap hplv gun from harbour freight. Does an extremely good job for a gun under $50. They are on sale periodically.

G
Old 07-21-2005, 02:01 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

For automotive paints, they all have data sheets accessible on the internet. These data sheets will tell you what tip size is recommended for a given paint and other stuff like the pressure setting at the gun.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:23 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

bhole74: I agree that the old type guns with the cup hanging under the gun would probably feel more balanced. The reason I want to go HVLP is that most of my spraying will be done indoors and I would like to avoid any mess or odor that isn't absolutely necessary. I see guns listed different places with the cups hanging that claim to be HVLP type. Does that seem possible to you?

gow589: Harbour Freight is one of the sites I looked at. What brand gun and what tip(s) are you using?

Steve Collins: Your suggestion sounds good. Do you access those under the brand names of the paints, eg, PPG, etc? Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

This one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47016

I mean, $15. I have panted everything from Airplanes such as this one:
http://www.rc-tech.net/fiber/stun.jpg
This cowling:
http://www.rc-tech.net/per2/Studacher.jpg
Car Parts:
http://www.rc-tech.net/MGB/paint1/p2.jpg

And many other things. I have also painted a car with an expensive Saitajet. I just didn't find that much difference. The $15 gun will do amazingly well. Just be sure to have the air pressure up in the 50-60psi range to get good atomization. They may call it a HPLV gun but it will cloud up a room like anyother gun;mostly due to the high presure for the atomization. But hey, $15!
Old 07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
bhole74

There are companies starting to manufacture pressure feed HVLP guns. Sharpe currently has one I have been considering, kinda holding out for a Binks though.