Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

SIG Astr Hog templates needed ...

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

SIG Astr Hog templates needed ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
decombs21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Astr Hog templates needed ...

Hey all:

Sadly I didn't trace the wing ribs from my Sig Astro Hog kit. I wish I did because now I want to build the tail dragger version of the wing.

Does anyone have the wing rib tracings (templates) that would like to send me a copy? I have some from the plans but as you're aware not all the wing ribs are included on the plans. I especially need the templates for W5 and W6.

I'd sure appreciate it,

Dave
Old 08-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Paulywog
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: SIG Astr Hog templates needed ...

I have the Astro Hog and just made it into a tail drager. I put the landing gear just in front of the wing. It fly's great. Have the Sato. 72 in it
Old 08-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Daryl_y

I would not bother buiding a new wing just to make it a tail drager. Paulywog probably has the best idea of putting an aluminium landing gear in front of the wing. Taildragger hogs with their gears in the stock postion can nose over pretty easy. If you don't want to do that I would make some new landing gear blocks and install them in the in the taildragger postion on the plans. It would make it a little heavier because you would have 2 sets of landing gear blocks but it would beat making new wing.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:50 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

decombs, I have a new hog kit in the garage ready for building as soon as I finish the hog bipe kit I'm working on. If you haven't already handled this I'd be glad to send you copies of those parts. Just let me know. I was soon to take all those printed parts to my office for copies of everything I'd need for whatever in the future. Let me know.

Jim Tice
Old 11-28-2005, 10:41 PM
decombs21

Thanks, Cub Floater. But like you surmised I've already handled this. In fact, I've already got the wings built and almost ready to cover.

Also, as you alluded, it would be a very good idea to make copies of the ribs, formers and etc. You're absolutely correct when you say you never know when you may need "replacement" parts and having templates of the originals may pull your fat out of the fire.

Take it from me, cutting your own parts and making additional assemblies is no big deal (although I did have to buy a bandsaw and sander). In fact, given that I used AAA grade balsa from Lone Star in Texas (where else?) I think I've got a much better and lighter set of wings than the original.

In case I didn't say, I made the other set of wings configured as a tail dragger so I can learn to fly that configuration. I was learning to take off with taildraggers 20 years ago when I gave up the hobby due to health problems. I'm now back at it, health problems or no.

Have fun, a Merry Christmas and thanks again. Please let me know how your bird works out for you.

Dave
Old 12-06-2005, 07:08 PM
cubfloater
My Feedback: (5)

got your email so I assume you still want the wing rib tracings. I'll take to the office tomorrow and scan to send to you. Good luck on yours and maybe we can post some photos of the finished planes later. Hope to get it built this winter. Almost to the final building of the hog bipe and anxious to get it sanded and start covering. That is probably till I get the alerons (4) elevators and rudder covered then I'll probably wish I had started with the astro hog.