Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Feild problems?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Feild problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 01:34 PM
raflyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feild problems?

To All

Hi my names Eddie and i got a question i wanna no if its not just my town but are you guys and your clubs having trouble flying and/or endanger of losing your feild From either soccer or golf etc please reply thanks.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:46 PM
danny03

Default RE: Feild problems?

We are getting a little crowded because of some soccer, but as of yet we are not endangered of loosing the Field. This airfield is located in Muskogee, Ok. (Hatbox Airfield) and ever since the club has started flying there we were in close proximatety of a Sports Complex located in the same general area. We have a good relationship with the City and the Airport Board, which helps us with any complaints that the City may receive.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:56 PM
raflyboy

we have lost a feild to a hilton hotel and now are indanger from soccer,golf, polo and runners
Old 08-10-2005, 04:24 PM
rcmiket

Housing is the problem here. One club here was put on notice that they have a year. They have been there forever. Our club is safe for now but another 8 or 10 years we will be homelees too. The cold hard facts are we just can't compete with either of those other 2 hobbies. Good Luck. Mike
Old 08-10-2005, 05:23 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly out of Salem, Connecticut. The club has been in existance since 1937 and we have been at this same field for almost 25 years.

We share our field with the local soccer people. When the have practice or games scheduled we don't fly. They provide us with a game/practice schedule and it has worked out quite well.

Our biggest worry is the new houses being constructed. You can easily see them from the flying field (the closest is maybe 1100 feet away). In this area an average new house is about $300,000 - $350,000. These houses START at $500,000 and go from there. So far we are on good terms with our new neighbors, however, as many of you realize, all it takes is one person complaining and the field is in trouble.

We are strictly enforcing a 96 db noise limit @ 9' in ANY direction from the plane and we have reduced the flying area in the direction of the new homes to 1/3 of what it was previously. Unfortunately the new houses are directly in line with one end of the runway, so we just can not completely eliminate flying in that direction. We are also strictly enforcing flying hours - 10am until sunset for glow/gas powered planes. Electrics can fly from 8am until sunset.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:14 AM
Flying Hog

Hey Campy... I bet it's More than 1100 feet. Looks are decieving. And when did they change the By laws about the start time at the field? Mon. through Fri., Start time is 9 o'clock. On the weekends, the start time is 10.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 AM
The Raven

My club (here in Australia) lost one field some 3 years back due to development. The current field is about to have a fwy put next to it, which has led to much of our flying area being acquired and fences popping up inconviently at the end of runways.

Lucky for us we're entitled to some level of compensation which should help with relocating to a new field. We have now got all the local approvals for our new field and am awaiting the signing of the 5 year lease. Once signed and compensation paid we'll be hard at work preparing the new field. In the meantime, it looks like we'll be allowed to fly from the old field for quite a few more months.

Hopefull by summer (remember our seasons are reversed down here) we'll have the new runways prepared and ready for action.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:24 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We lost a field several years ago to development. All of the fly over area was built up with houses, and the actual field became soccor fields.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may very well be wrong on the times. The last I heard was 10am. Again, this is supposed to keep any neighbor problems to a minimum.

The last couple of times I have been to the field, people were there before 10am, but no one was flying. No one started flying until about 10am.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:15 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've watched fields go down the drain all over the country and a lot of times it is just one person that doesn't like the fact that we are enjoying ourselves or they don't like the noise, traffic or what ever. Then there is the one where someone in the (area) club thinks they have a right to do what ever they want and they blow it for the rest. There are a lot of fields being lost to soccer and it doesn't always have to be if a little common sence is used by both parties. There isn't any reason in a lot of cases that the fields couldn't be used for both SPORTS if people will just get togeather and talk it out. Also it would be better use of the land and that is one thing that needs to be talked about.. Another thing while I'm on this kick. Start refering to our pastime as a SPORT, it gets attention better then if it's a hobby. Building is the hobby, flying is the SPORT. Think about it, ---- in this day and age SPORTS are everything and we need to exploit it that way. The last thing from me is DON'T ever think that something is owed to us just because we are here, you have to EARN rights and privileges. G** I hate Preachers!!! ENJOY !!! RED