Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

speed control question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

speed control question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
thunderchicken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed control question

Hi,

I just installed a 30 amp speed control into my GWS Beagle. The guy at the hobby shop said it would work just fine. It's one of those programmable kinds. When I first installed it, it worked fine. But today, I played with it and everything started to smoke! The battery and everything began to melt. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks[8D]
Old 08-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: speed control question

ORIGINAL: thunderchicken

Hi,

I just installed a 30 amp speed control into my GWS Beagle. The guy at the hobby shop said it would work just fine. It's one of those programmable kinds. When I first installed it, it worked fine. But today, I played with it and everything started to smoke! The battery and everything began to melt. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks[8D]
Well, you have a couple of problems.

1. If the battery is a LIPO, IMMEDIATELY GET IT OUT OF THE HOUSE OR ANY BUILDING IT IS IN and put it in a fireproof container. LIPO batteries may SEEM to be OK after a crash or other incident, however, to be safe, put them in a fireproof container for AT LEAST 24 HOURS. If nothing has happened after 24 hours you should be OK. Obviously you should observe the normal safety precautions with LIPO - swelling, etc.

2. You have a short somewhere. This is what caused the wires and battery to start melting.

3. You will need to replace ALL the wiring AND connectors in the plane.

4. Check the individual componants OUT OF THE PLANE. Check each componant separately (such as the receiver and one servo - use a known good battery ). Some of the componants may still be good, however, I would figure on all the electronics (receiver, ESC, motor, servos, any extensions and battery ) to be a total loss.

Sorry about the loss. It doesn't take much - something easily overlooked or missed during a preflight check - a piece of frayed insulation or a poor solder connection can cause things like this to happen.