Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

programing trx to operate nose gear steering servo

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

programing trx to operate nose gear steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
bobnreg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programing trx to operate nose gear steering servo

can anyone help me? am installing a futaba 9c radio in T34 mentor plane with retracts. the nose gear uses a serarate servo for steering . i need to program the trx so that the nose wheel operates with the rudder and of course nose wheel moves only a fraction of rudder movement How to do this. thanks for your help Bob D.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: programing trx to operate nose gear steering servo

Use a y-harness for the rudder servo and the steering servo.
Or mix the steering servo plugged into channel 5, 6, 7... with the rudder servo.
Use the furthest out hole on the nose wheel steering arm, and the furthest in on the steering servo to get the least amount of travel, using the y-harness setup.
Set the endpoints on the steering servo channel if used in another channel and mixed with the rudder.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:34 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to the programmed mixes screen, look at mix 5, 6, or 7. They are designed for different kinds of rudder/aileron mix. You can reassign the 'slave' channel to the steering servo instead of an aileron servo; to do this, set slave at 'aux 1' or 'aux2', hook the steering servo to ch. 8 or 9 and select that channel as your aux.

You'll have to check whether you need to reverse the servo so it turns the correct direction, and you can use the endpoint adjustment to set how much travel you get. You can even assign a switch to turn the slave servo (steering) on or off so once you are "wheels up" you can turn off the servo so it isn't 'steering' the nose gear in the well. You will have to go between a couple different screens, but it works the same way that setting up two servos for ailerons does, you just have one servo turning the rudder, one servo turning the nose wheel.

Just gotta love that 9C.

Only two things a copilot needs to say: 1- Nice landing, Captain 2- I'll take the fat chick.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:02 AM
bobnreg

tha Khodes for the info i will try it as soon as i can Got to agree the 9c is great will let you know how it works out thanks again Bob D.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:27 AM
2slow2matter

Does the servo need to be inactive when the gear is retracted? This may be another issue to concern yourself with....
Old 08-21-2005, 12:46 PM
bobnreg

2slow2matter No the nose gear servo does not need to be inactive when nose wheel is retracted because the wheel will turn very little maybe 5 deg or less
Old 08-22-2005, 10:52 AM
bobnreg

Have followed your instructions but nose gear servo does not run and servo is not faulty what next? SEE ATTACHED NEW THREAD
Old 08-22-2005, 01:29 PM
bobnreg

Thanks fhodges for your help I followed your tutoral precisely and it is working great.I had a few attemps before I realized the steering servo was in the wrong channel All is well in the hanger now
Old 08-22-2005, 03:47 PM
khodges

Good to hear it Bob. There's about half a dozen or more guys at our field that use 9C Tx's, we sit around and play with them, trade ideas, etc. Sometimes it gets a bit busy going between screens, but there's not much you can't do with some ingenuity. We even came up with a way to synch twin engines using the rotary controls, also gives the ability to dial assymetric thrust if desired. I have mine set up with an on board glow on one plane, I can manually control the glow and throttle cut on a single switch. Lotsa stuff. Happy flying, Ken
Old 08-24-2005, 03:44 PM
bobnreg

Hi khodgrs I see you are very adept at programing the 9C radio. I have a situation that you and your flying friends might like to play around with. I have a twin engine float plane .which begs to have each engine controled by throttle[ for water steering] such that , as an example, during a left turn while taxing the right engine could be increased in speed and speed would be varable with throttle stick . Of course right turn is oppsite. Sounds interesting huh . T
he radio is way beyound my expertise for me to consider this. Thought you would interested.
Bob D.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
khodges

Bob-- this is what I was talking about exactly. I don't remember exactly what he did, but one of the guys had built a twin floatplane and wanted to steer it with asymmetric thrust. You need a separate servo for each throttle; one of the three rotary switches above and between the gimbals on the Tx is mixed to the throttle channel; with the switch at its midpoint, the servos are 'balanced', or have equal motion, and when the rotary control is turned, it retards one throttle and advances the other. Moving the throttle gimbal still works the same way, so you can increase overall power with the gimbal, and alter right-left with the rotary control. He wound up not using it, stayed with the 'old-fashioned' water rudder and a single throttle servo setup for reliability. I'm not really the programming guru this other guy is.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 PM
bobnreg

Hi Ken Bob D here again with a different programing question. On flying the plane I find I need a few degrees down elevator with the applecation of wing flaps. Can you help me with programing the 9C trx to do this? Thx
Bob D