Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Outdoor carpet for a Runway?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Outdoor carpet for a Runway?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:44 PM
mmmdowning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdoor carpet for a Runway?

Has anyone used the outdoor carpet for a runway? I can get it at .66 cents a foot and 12ft wide. So a 200ft section at 12 ft wide would cost me $132. At that price you could replace every 4-5 years if need be. We currently fly off of grass and the problem is with electrics becoming more popular it woud be easier for the smaller plane to take off and land without flipping. The gas planes can still use it or land next to it on the grass. What do you think?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:38 PM
huggins

Default RE: Outdoor carpet for a Runway?

I think you better check the price again. It is probably $.66 per SQUARE foot. 200' x 12' x $.66= $1584. $132 for 200 linear feet of any kind of carpet would be a steal. I have no idea how well it would hold up or work. I know some clubs have used a fabric for runway surfaces that comes in rolls. I believe it is intended for use in road construction. It is not cheap, but less than asphalt.

Mike
Old 08-21-2005, 09:29 AM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Also, You'd have a heck of a time keeping the grass from growing up through it.

And, I've never seen an electric that needed 200 feet of runway...
Old 08-21-2005, 10:34 AM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost aside, imagine the trouble you would have vacuuming it!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:55 AM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local club went to many of the carpet surplus places and got their short nap removals and extras for free. Mostly green colors, but a few reds and one big blue too. They graded the runway, carefully raked it, applied some weed restraint (killer) and hand sprinkled on some cement straight from sack. Watered it well, then laid down the pieces of carpeting. Used boat spikes for corners and edges.

It lasted about five years. Never was removed for repairs.

Wm.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:10 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arizona and New Mexico use old carpet for runways all the time and it seems to work OK, but they don't get much rain and usually just use a blower to clean it off. One of the places I flew they got the old carpet out of a mall, it was wide and long and all stiched so it was one piece. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-22-2005, 05:41 AM
mmmdowning

2slow2matter

I know 200ft seems alot but for the gas guys to use also, not just for electrics. I have a Velocity and it will be electric and it will need 150ft-200ft. to take off.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:57 AM
2slow2matter

Agreed, but if your electric is that big, then it should have enough power to get off of well manicured grass.

I just think you'd be in for WAY more hassle than it would ever be worth. Just my opinion, and that's what this board is for.

We have fabric mats in the pit area, which is typically shaded by the awning, and we have all kinds of grass growing up through it--and we have to weed eat it all the time. I'd hate to have to weed-eat 200 feet of runway!
Old 08-22-2005, 02:40 PM
red head

Hey 2 slow, do you guys still fly in the fenced in area with the cows all around??? It's been a long time and I was just wondering. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-22-2005, 09:27 PM
2slow2matter

Oh yea, fences on each end, and cows out the wazoo! Were you once a member? Our secretary talks of a long lost member now living in FL. The cows don't bother me none, but that bull--better watch out!

Fun place to fly with some really good people!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:59 PM
red head

mmmm sorry to intrude on your thread.

2 slow: no I'm not that member, I passed thru there a few years ago and did some flying with you folks, had a great time and got lucky and didn't have to confront the bull for my plane --- just the bull on the flight line ( ops ). Later -- ENJOY !!! RED