Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Bending Piano Wire???

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Bending Piano Wire???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:38 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Bending Piano Wire???

Hi Guys,
I am building a Ziroli Stearman and I need to bend some 3/16" Piano wire to make the cabanes for the Stearnman, I need to bend 4 identical wires. What is the best way to get a good precise bend in this wire??? I do not have much trouble with 1/16" or even 1/8" but the 3/16 wire is pretty tough.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 08-26-2005, 06:08 AM
Mr_Scale
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bending Piano Wire???

Sent you a PM.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:11 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

k&s used to make a heavy duty wire bender that makes bending 5/32 and 3/16 wire easier.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:35 PM
nickj

I had to do this for my Sig Smith Miniplane. I wouldn't want to do it without the K&S wire bender, but the big one isn't cheap--$30 or so. For the Mini, I bent 10 cabanes before I had four exact ones. I used a ruler, wrapped the wires in masking tape, and marked the tape where the wire was supposed to line up with the pins on the bender, based on a few initial tests. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:53 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bend 3/16" wire a lot for Landing gear. I just hold it in a vise (Between two scraps of 1/8" ply to protect the wire fom the vise jaws) and take a hammer to it.'

I've actually had people ask me if I have a jig since they come out so good and so identical - So it's not too hard to do.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:19 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactamundo-- As long as all the bends are in the same plane (no pun intended) clamp the wires next to each other and bend them at the same time. Easier to do them the same way. I also use a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and cut a small notch at the bend point, just nick the surface about 1mm and bend the wire so the notch is on the INSIDE of the bend, and I use a propane torch to heat the wire at the bend point just short of red. When you use the hammer to bend it, you'll come out with an extremely sharp bend. as soon as the angle is where you want it, take the wires out of the vise and quench them in a bucket of water, this will temper them and they won't bend or deform due to the heating you just did. I've made some wire landing gears this way, support a 15 pound plane, haven't broken.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:27 PM
Eindecker_pilot

I use the K&S wire bender and I like how it works. I've used their mini wire bender & their full size one. Go for the full size wire bender. I managed to break the mini one. Most hobby shops carry K&S tools.