Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Good Field Box Options ?????

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Good Field Box Options ?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 09:08 AM
Lakefrontlivin
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Field Box Options ?????

Hi,
I'm just getting into airplanes and need to find a good field box.. If anyone knows of a good box for a decent price please let me know. Thanx, Lake
Old 09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
GoMike

Default RE: Good Field Box Options ?????

I built a Goldberg Super Tote about 15 years ago and still like it - not too big, not too small, two drawers, removable cradles, and trays on top for starter, ESV, etc. It's a kit, so you'll have to assemble and paint it, but it comes with a good instruction manual. I think it still sells for between $30 and $35. If you do build a flight box, paint it with epoxy paint and you'll never have problems with glow fuel spills. One good thing about a kit like this is that you can customize it to your liking as you build it.

==Mike==
Old 09-15-2005, 10:36 AM
kqutob

Tried many , my all time favorite is the World Models flight box
http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p.../wc0392032.jpg
Old 09-16-2005, 02:48 PM
lukeshort

I'm on my second Goldberg Super Tote. The first one lasted 12 years. Holds all kinds of tools plus all the standard flight line stuff. Never saw one I thought I'd like better.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:15 PM
kdheath

I just got one of these and it looks like it will be very usable:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/122501.asp

And I've seen some of these in use. Nice not to have to tote the entire thing to the flight line.
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

And dig this dude that Dick Byron does! Wish I coule afford one.
http://www.dickbyron.com/dick_byron_002.htm
Old 09-20-2005, 08:49 AM
souslin

Here's an idea for a good field box. I bought a Plano 16" box that has a tool tray in it. On the left side of the lid is my power panel. On the right side is the field charger. Inside the box on the left is a one gallon gas can(Plastic) in the center is a 12 volt garden tractor battery, on the right side is the tool tray cut down to fit turned 90 degrees, and under the tray is room for starter, glowdriver, etc. Everything I need to fuel, start, and fly my plane is at my fingertips. It has worked well for me. I have also made one with two gellcells with switchable circut for 12 & 24 volts for the big stuff. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:20 AM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

Go as cheap as you can for now. Look around and see all the different flight boxes the other flyers are using and what equipment you will be bringing with you so that you know how much room you need. Then you will have a better idea as to what will work best for you. I've seen those made from the step stool/tool boxes, tackle boxes and one of the flyers here has one made from a large plastic ammunition box with a flip lid thats big enough to sit on.
FEB
Old 09-20-2005, 01:40 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

There's a thread right now in the SPAD forum on how to make one from coroplast. You could get a cigarette or Coke sign for free from the local stop-n-rob and be on your way...
Old 09-20-2005, 02:20 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I had a few 'airplane specific' ones, as the above have mentioned. One broke due to being 'too full' and another was damaged due to 'spring floods'

Currently, I'm using a $20 'Home Depot special' typical plastic tool box and a milk crate. The milk crate carries the 'wet stuff' (fuel, cleaner, paper towel, etc..), while all the tools, battery & starter, and such live in the tool box. A few 'compartment trays' live in the bottom for those 'little things'.

I can also throw in a manual or two in the milk crate, for when you 'need' the manual!!
Radio 'hangs' from the milk crate. A 'coat hanger hook' if you will.

Rarely, do I ever see anyone use the cradle.

And I don't use (need) a 'power panel'. Starter connected directly to the battery (fast-on spade lugs with a heavy guage extension, about 15' long! I leave the battery in the box!). Remote 'self contained' igniter, and a manual fuel pump.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:45 PM
KW_Counter

I'm with Dr Wogz. I got a tackle box from WalMart and use a plastic milk carton carrier.

The tackle box top has the transmitter in the foam it was shipped in, tach, voltmeter, glasses, charger, etc.
In the three pull out divided drawers are the tools, glow plugs, rubber bands, props, etc.
There is even room under the drawers for a few manuals, especially for the transmitter.

In the milk carton carrier is the fuel and hand pump, starter, cleaner, rags, transmitter holder, retaining fork and hammer.
(The retaining fork is pounded into the ground and used to hold the plane back while starting.
One prong into the ground and two prongs up to go in front of the horiz stab.)
The starter has the batteries in the attached Sullivan battery holder.

I don't want to carry all of my crap out to the starting line. The fuel is kept in the shade.
I install the fork in the starting area and leave the starter and transmitter stand next to it.
Anyone is free to use it if they like.

The flight boxes seem popular but the people who use them don't seem to be bring less or be any more organized than I am.
No matter what you use you won't be able to get everything in one box unless you are flying just electrics.
I'm not worried about wires for the starter or igniter getting caught in the prop.

Just my solutions to observations and trials. See what others are doing and how they work for you.
Don't be in a hurry to buy something that may not work - a cardboard box is OK for awhile.

Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 09-20-2005, 07:28 PM
tom czenthe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be different.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43693.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	326936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25197.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	326937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65901.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	326938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke90290.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	326939  
Old 09-20-2005, 09:08 PM
iaclmac

I have been in Model aviation for close to 30 years and still I am looking for the perfect field box. When I started I was into coltrolline and now R/C. Over the years I found I I was always wanting to have more parts and tools with me for those repairs in the field. About 3 years ago I ran into a tool box that pretty well fits the need. It is a stackable unit that opens first at the top. It has a removable tray with plenty of storage underneath. It also has a 2 pull out drawer section for all the tools and small pieces. The bottom section is a tip out bin arrangement. I store my fuels and cleaning supplies down there. As you can see it is on wheens and has a retractable handle. Also the top 2 sections can be removed. This is a handy feature if I am putting it in my trunk. Once I get to the field ie assembles in a matter of seconds. here are a few pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26399.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	327001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46372.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	327002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58579.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	327003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik90145.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	327004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tf39949.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	327005  
Old 09-21-2005, 09:11 AM
BlackB12
My Feedback: (9)

I use a Black and Decker plastic toolbox from walmart as my field box. Paid 9 bucks for it. I then put in some clear plastic tackle cases for all my small hardware. Holds everything i take to the field except my fuel container. But that's fine because I use two different types of fuel so I don't want a fuel bottle connected to the box. Total invested was 17 bucks and it will never need paint and will never rot like a wood field box.

MIke
Old 02-09-2009, 03:07 PM
mkharte

You are truely a gifted artist.

Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 03:46 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the cats meow,,,,,, have a look at the video.
http://leisurercmodels.com/id12.html
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
dignlivn

ORIGINAL: tom czenthe

Be different.....

That Sir is "Priceless"

Bob
Old 02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
H5487

Gentlemen,

I believe I've found the perfect wooden field box. It's a little heavier than the average box but has wheels. It'll hold EVERYTHING you will ever need at the field. Note that it might be a little pricey for some folks but BOY will you be the standout in the pit area! (Note: While I wish it were mine, it's not.)

Harvey

Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: H5487

Gentlemen,

I believe I've found the perfect wooden field box. It's a little heavier than the average box but has wheels. It'll hold EVERYTHING you will ever need at the field. Note that it might be a little pricey for some folks but BOY will you be the standout in the pit area!

Harvey

Very nice field box. Now if you install American Racing mags on a heavy duty posi rear axel connected to e Borg Warner T-10 four speed connected to a 351 Cleveland you could probably raise Henry Ford from the dead. Judging by the photo on your sign-on you'll need a field box this big anyway.

Bill

Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Sandmann_AU

Gentlemen,

I believe I've found the perfect wooden field box. It's a little heavier than the average box but has wheels. It'll hold EVERYTHING you will ever need at the field. Note that it might be a little pricey for some folks but BOY will you be the standout in the pit area!
Does that come with the receiver & servos, or is it an ARF?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Ram Jet

ORIGINAL: Sandmann_AU

Gentlemen,

NO, it's an ARR - Already to Roll.

Bill
Old 02-16-2009, 12:42 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: Sandmann_AU
It's plans-built.

I wish I could say the one in the picture was mine but all I've got at this time is a set of plans and a 1930 Ford A chassis and running gear for a starting point. But the picture is a good one to drool over isn't it? Go here if you want to learn more about it: http://members.aol.com/wagonwork2

Harvey